• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 reedmk2

reedmk2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hello all. I'm Mark Reed and am a 1st year head coach in a 7 & 8 year old flag football league. I'm 30 years old and am serving in the US Air Force overseas in the United Kingdom. The league is held on base and has proven to be extremely fun. I appreciate all of the tips that have been posted in this forum as they have helped me tremendously.

Coach Reed

TeamSnap!

#17 bryce's dad

bryce's dad

Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

I am back on the forum after a short-lived retirement from coaching. My 3rd grader requested another go around as his coach and a long standing league had an opening. We are in Cleveland, Ohio (please no Browns jokes) and the area is really football crazy.

This will be my 3rd year of flag football coaching (have another couple years of soccer, but that is a nightmare best left for a therapist's couch). I have 3rd and 4th graders in their last year of flag before moving into the local tackle programs. I am all about fun and learning, but want the kids to tap into their competitive side as well. This year I move from a small rec league that played 7-on-7 to a feeder league for the local high school program that plays 8-on-8 with limited rush (only the 2 defensive tackles can cross the line). Full blocking is allowed and there is only one defensive set permitted (4-2-2). They are pretty serious about the league, but are also committed to the goal of getting the kids to stay with the program (80% of the 4th graders go into the 5th/6th grade tackle program). A lot of the rules restrictions seemed set up to actually allow the kids to get into a play. In my previous go arounds, a stud on the d-line was so disruptive that many plays never had a chance (luckily that was my son last year).

I am in way over my head compared to the other coaches, but will do my best to get the kids ready. I may start a season thread as well to look for some help.

BTW, this is a great forum and the regulars here have been a huge help. Now, off to find some ideas for plays because I can throw out my previous playbook!

#18 rushbuster70

rushbuster70

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

Welcome^ run a spread running game...NO kids that age should be able to stop it lol.
AZPanthersFootball.org

#19 atlas7427

atlas7427

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

WOW....what an incredible site! This is my first year coaching flag football, we're in the NFL flag league with 6-8 year old's, QB can't run, rushers from 7 yards out, no pitches...the usual. I've coached baseball and basketball the last 5 years and now also diving into the football thing. This site has been incredible with plays, defensive ideas, philosophies, etc.

We had our first game last Saturday and WON! Played a man defense, although I wasn't too happy with it, but didn't know how to implement a zone...but I did throw it out there at practice tonight and the kids seemed to enjoy it, so I may play it for half the game this week and see what happens. Offensively, I run some end-arounds and a LOT of quick pass plays...special THANKS to Rob, Orange and Texas D for sharing their playbooks.

#20 kevinjfisher76

kevinjfisher76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hey everyone, I'm Kevin Fisher and I"m coaching 5-6 year old kids in the NFL's flag football league in Lincoln, NE. I've coached basketball, soccer, t-ball, and now this. I"m pretty excited for it because football is the sport I know the most about. I have enjoyed reading through these posts and they helped me already with our first practice last night. Any practice drills that can be sent my way would be much appreciated!

#21 bobretro

bobretro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I'm 42 years old an have been coaching as an assistant or head coach for 3 years. I was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska and therefore love college football. I started out helping coaches and had my head-coaching debut as a basketball coach. I've found that flag-football is the most fulfilling sport to coach. There is nothing like leading the team out on the field on a crisp, sunny fall morning! This is my second session as the flag-football head coach. I was very lucky that my son's prior flag-football coaches were wonderful to work with and learn from. I only moved to head-coach after the last coach's son moved into tackle. I've got 3 great assistants who love the game. I'm always looking for new ideas to help teach the players and this forum is perfect for that, so thanks in advance to everyone here!

Bob

#22 10UCoach

10UCoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hey all - Coach Greg here. I currently coach a 10U 8 on 8 flag football team. Wow - hadn't ever thought about it before - but I have filled out soooo many of those background check forms...

Let's see - started coaching 3 year old soccer in 2001 at the YMCA and have coached multiple seasons every year since - non stop. That year I coached Spring and Fall outdoor soccer and a 5U T-Ball. Did that for 3 years then moved into flag and then tackle football. Back in flag as our area has an awesome 8 man league which really focuses on developing receivers and DB's and QBs. Tough league. My buddy and I actually have 4 teams in the league. An 8U, a 10U which my son plays on, a 12U which his son plays on and an old man's league (40+). We all run the same system and speak the same language - and have lots of fun. The kids think it's really cool when the Big Drillers show up at a game or just practice with them. Our 10s do that for the 8's, 12's for the 10s and 8's, and the men do it for all three. You should see an opposing 8U or 10U Team when their opponent has 3 other teams - dressed exactly like them - high-fiving and cheering them on - confidence soars. Nothing but fun!!

I was back coaching 3 year old soccer again for the last 2 years and now that one is moving into softball (T-Ball version). My son also plays select baseball and rec basketball - all the same boys on his flag football team with only a couple of exceptions.

I have been lurking and reading up - the respect you guys give each other is a nice touch.

Looking forward to learning a lot!

Coach Greg

I believe that the development of our children is the point of youth sports - PLAY HARD - PLAY FAIR - HAVE FUN

#23 RMH

RMH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hello everyone!

This is my first season coaching 7-9 year-olds in i9 Sports 5v5 flag football. I grew up in the Midwest and have been down in a suburb of Atlanta for the past 15 years. I played many years of football through college and had the most fun playing in 7v7 summer leagues in high school. I am really impressed with the wealth of information on this forum and, more importantly, the philosophy most coaches here have toward recreational sports leagues. I fully believe it should be fun first.

Growing up in a small town, I played baseball in the summers because that was all that we had. I wasn't particularly good at it, but it was fun to get to see friends during the summer. When I was 9, we didn't have enough 8-9 year olds sign up for a team, so they put me on a 10-11 year old team. Needless to say I road the bench only playing a couple of innings every other game in right field. Our team went undefeated and blew the doors off every other team we played even through the summer end tournement. Without a doubt, it was the worst experience I have ever had playing an organized sport. I can honestly say that if your team wins and you don't have any part in it, it really isn't fun. Furthermore, the summer before when I was 8, we had a single mom who knew nothing about baseball coach our team. We were awful and I can't even remember how many games we won - BUT we had more fun that summer than any other. What our coach lacked in baseball knowledge she made up for in enthusiasm and energy.

Attitude, energy and enthusiasm really do make a difference!

#24 hollad6636

hollad6636

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

Needless to say I road the bench only playing a couple of innings every other game in right field. Our team went undefeated and blew the doors off every other team we played even through the summer end tournement. Without a doubt, it was the worst experience I have ever had playing an organized sport. I can honestly say that if your team wins and you don't have any part in it, it really isn't fun. Furthermore, the summer before when I was 8, we had a single mom who knew nothing about baseball coach our team. We were awful and I can't even remember how many games we won - BUT we had more fun that summer than any other. What our coach lacked in baseball knowledge she made up for in enthusiasm and energy.

I couldn't agree more. It is sad how much emphasis parents and coaches put on flat out winning when it is supposed to be recreational.

Thanks for sharing.

#25 samsdad

samsdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Youth sports, fishing, golf

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hello all

I'm Mike, 46 year old from NW Ohio, actually living in southern Michigan, but as a Buckeye fan it's still hard for me to admit. Growing up, I played basketball and tennis, but really got into flag football at tOSU, and our intramural team was school champions several times. I feel so lucky to have found this forum, and want to thank everyone, especially Orange, CoachRob, and Johnp2, as they have been especially invaluable with advice to me. This is my first year coaching my son's flag football team through the local Y, the league is (supposedly) 1st-3rd graders. It's been a rough start, as we are 0-3 so far, but I've been extremely enthusiastic with my team and we actually have alot of fun (even after we lost our last game I had two kids ask if they could be on my team next year: helped ease my bruised ego). Our team is challenging...somehow I ended up with 3 kindegartners, and one 1st grade girl who doesn't really want to play football out of 9 kids. It's obvious to me that even at this young age, there are some "stacked" teams; through it all we have managed to play fun football, and I am keeping with my personal philosophy (that I see backed by many of the coaches on the board) of every kid getting touches every game. I have been proud to watch my team take on the first level challenges of learning to snap, hand-off, block, pull flags etc. and have celebrated every small victory with them. Our lack of success many times make me doubt my approach, but I am sticking to it, and feel by the end of the year, I will hopefully have made a positive impact on these kids lives by being a good mentor to them, if not a great coach!

Thanks again all...I'm looking forward to learning much more and keep growing as a coach through all of your ideas and advice.

Coach Mike

#26 coachjd

coachjd

Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Youth Sports, Flag Football, basketball

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi, I'm Coach JD. I'm new to this site, but not coaching. I live in Texas and have been coaching youth sports for 7+ years. My personal experiences in sports are broad. I grew up playing a wide variety of sports - basketball, football, baseball, golf, racquetball, soccer, and most at a high level.

I dove right into coaching when my first child was old enough to play. The first sport I coached was tball (4-5) year olds. I knew immediately that being head coach was challenging but very rewarding. Teaching kids a new game, improving their fundamentals, along with other aspects of sports, is a fun challenge. I have 3 kids - 2 boys and 1 girl. I've been privileged to get the opportunity to coach all of their teams. And when scheduling interferes with being head coach I make sure I'm an active assistant. Ive spent the past 5 years as a head coach for flag football in the NFL league (mainly 5 on 5) ages 4-12. Other coaching experiences include football, baseball, soccer, basketball, and golf.

My style of coaching is simple - I expect the kids to try their best, to be respectful and to have fun. I understand that all players are not of equal talent, and I make sure each kid gets the opportunity to learn the sport regardless of talent. I put teaching fundamentals a head of winning, as I know winning and losing is part of the learning process. Over the years Ive formulated practice plans, drills and plays that allow me to adapt to various skill levels and talent. We've had many winning seasons along with championships - and against more talented teams. I look forward to learning more from the experienced and inexperienced coaches/dads/moms that visit this website to share their stories and successes, along with sharing mine.
Coach JD

#27 coachkimball

coachkimball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hey Guys,

I am about to start coaching my sons 4-5 yr old flag football team, I was a jock growing up, football, baseball, ice hockey - you name it.

I am excited to start coaching, I had some great coaches growing up and I've always thought it would be a rewarding experience to do the same when my kids were ready to play.

I am going to thank everyone in advance for the info I will use from this forum.

CoachK

Suburbs north of Dallas Texas

#28 vegascoach

vegascoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hey everyone. I am new to coaching although I have been one of those parents that comes on the practice field (with the coaches encouragement) to help out occasionally. I am assistant coaching (defense) for my sons 7-9 y.o. flag football NFL sanctioned team in Las Vegas. No pitching, QB can't run. I'd like to get some ideas about different defenses. I will start a thread requesting that input. I'd like to say thanks to the owners of this forum. I was searching the net for some input and am really happy to have found this forum.

#29 the.snowman

the.snowman

Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:youth football coaching

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hello everyone this is also my first year as a assistant coach. I will basically be handling the defense in a 5 on 5 11-12 youth football league. I just wanted to say thank you for all the great posts, plays and defensive strategies. I haven't even had to ask a question as of yet because so far everything i have wondered about has already been answered thus far. Anyway looking for a very fun spring flag football season. Can't wait to get some more tips!! :P

#30 whiskey.alpha

whiskey.alpha

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi Gents. New to the forum. Enjoying the discussions here. Looking forward to learning how other coaches do it. As for me, I've coached 6 seasons of flag football. Two seasons pee-wee, four seasons 6-9 year olds. We play in Central Texas.