4 replies to this topic

#1 TeeDub23

TeeDub23

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Alright, we played this team and they were little and well coached. But, they played the strangest offense. Since they were all below weight (under 75 Lbs) they all were 2 point stance tight on the LOS. They took 3 RB and had them crouch with their butts almost on the ground and they put their hands top down on the ground about 2 yards behind the center. They looked like they were crouching around a camp fire.

Because the line was standing 2 point stance, they would snap the ball in to the crouching kids and they would all stand up and sweep right. Mostly off tackle or around the 6 hole. They literally had 3 plays, but they did it so well, they were very hard to stop.

Our kids didnt know where the ball was and even though they ran off tackle 90% of the time, we couldnt stop them. They ate up 5 yard chunks every play.

Almost like a gimicky version of the Single Wing. How do you defend this formation?

Terry

#2 rushbuster70

rushbuster70

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

sounds like a modified version of the single wing...what kind of defense are you running?
AZPanthersFootball.org

#3 TeeDub23

TeeDub23

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

6-2 or 6-3 mostly. I posted a .pdf of our formation on the Stopping the Sweep topic. I dont think we lined up well on the spacing and we had a hard time stopping them. They were a well coached team. They never broke one for a TD, but they did move down on us a couple times and score. We just couldnt really stop them getting 3-5 yards each time.

This is where I go back to the load up the outside triangle and dare them to attack our middle.

For one, I think this is a gimicky offense and is cheap. You will never see football players squatting with hands on the grass and run wildcat all day long. Even if I had an inferior team, I dont think I would teach this. That is about all it is good for is taking a small inferior team and giving them a chance to win. It doesnt teach hand offs, it doesnt teach proper offensive alignment with proper stances, it is simply a wildcat with as many blockers as you can sweep with. However, that is just me.

#4 Coach J Hemi

Coach J Hemi

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Coaching Youth Football.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Discipline with gap responsibilities and penetration. D tackles need to anchor and get penetration.
Check out Coach Jeff's Blog http://www.youthfootballonline.com for free plays, coaching tips and articles. We have a full line of coaching and practice equipment as well.

#5 5-3Man

5-3Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Looks like it is a Single Wing. You would be crucified if you said SW was gimmicky on their forum. Tell me, what is the triangle area?

6-2 or 6-3 mostly. I posted a .pdf of our formation on the Stopping the Sweep topic. I dont think we lined up well on the spacing and we had a hard time stopping them. They were a well coached team. They never broke one for a TD, but they did move down on us a couple times and score. We just couldnt really stop them getting 3-5 yards each time.

This is where I go back to the load up the outside triangle and dare them to attack our middle.

For one, I think this is a gimicky offense and is cheap. You will never see football players squatting with hands on the grass and run wildcat all day long. Even if I had an inferior team, I dont think I would teach this. That is about all it is good for is taking a small inferior team and giving them a chance to win. It doesnt teach hand offs, it doesnt teach proper offensive alignment with proper stances, it is simply a wildcat with as many blockers as you can sweep with. However, that is just me.