1 reply to this topic

#1 WillLennon

WillLennon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Coaching Flag Football

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

Like the title says, 5 v 5 6-8 y/o, i9 rules. We had our 1st game yesterday and things went extremely well, mostly because of all of the tips and info I found here on this forum. So to start with thank you. Last weeks scrimmage was a mess, so I found this site and got to reading. A few things I found were extremely helpful. I put my playbook in PowerPoint and color coded the positions - 5 colors red, blue, black, red, and yellow (I think I might change yellow as it was tough to see in the sun against white paper). Then I gave each kid a wrist band with one of those colors. I had plays for each color. I had 9 players, so I had just about two squads. To start with, I had my son, the youngest on the team (6 years old), explain how we were going to run the plays. He and I had gone over it a few times over the weekend. He did a great job and most of the kids got it right away. In the huddle I showed the players the play, pointed out each position and then the color on their wrist. For those that were a little slow I had them tell me what they were going to do. Again they picked up on it pretty quick. For rotations, squad "A" started on Offense, then squad "B" played D. Next series squad "B" played O and "A" played D, and I continued this rotation throughout the game. At half time, all of the players switched wrist bands with one of different color, so they could experience other positions. The other team played a man D, which was a mistake, as I ran a couple of misdirection plays with great success.
For D, we went with a 3-2 zone, with three on the line and two LBs/Safties. We blitzed on the first couple of series, but soon stopped because we got ahead pretty quick and did not want to run up the score. We talked alot about responsibility and that they were responsible for a space not another player. The one touchdown the other team scored, one of my outside lineman bit in on fake, and they ran around outside of him. He came right up to me and said "I should of stayed in my space". I patted him on the back and told him good job for recognizing and I know he will do better next time. Nothing else got around him.
We scored 2 defensive TDs on interceptions (again they stayed home) and 4 or 5 TDs on offense (it happened fast and I forgot to have a parent keep stats). I was really proud of them, they got in the habit of giving high-fives for players that made the play, and the did a really good job of keeping quiet in the huddle.

The drills I ran prior really reinforced a few areas that we had issues with last week. We did a leap frog with snapping the ball. During the game we only dropped one snap. We ran the swarm drill as well, and I had multiple players in on each pull.

One thing I failed to practice were pass routes. I only have two right now, an 5 yard out pattern (center drag) and a 5 yard button hook. Most of my players took off 10 or more yard with no real route on pass plays. We dialed it in a little better second half but, we need work on pass routes.

Any advice or input is welcomed. If you have a question fire away.

Thanks again to all of the contributors on the site.

Coach Will
GO BULLDOGS!

#2 Coach Rob

Coach Rob

Ineligible Receiver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors.

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Sounds like you worked out a great system for your kids, I like it.

One thing I failed to practice were pass routes. I only have two right now, an 5 yard out pattern (center drag) and a 5 yard button hook. Most of my players took off 10 or more yard with no real route on pass plays. We dialed it in a little better second half but, we need work on pass routes.

The pass routes are difficult at any age, for some reason those 5 yard outs turn into fly patterns. Best advice I can give here is shorten the route by having them take two or three steps, the head towards sidelines. I'd also have the QB follow them along the los, that helps in the beginning.

Look forward to hearing how the Bulldogs are doing this year.
-CRob