#1 Texas_D_Coach

Texas_D_Coach

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hey everybody,
We're playing winter flag football again this year, and are 3-0 so far. We've played some good teams, and it seems to have become our teams habit to come out and play cold for the first few possessions (offense and defense), before picking it up and blowing out the opponents in the second half.

I've started to rethink my pregame warmup to try and get the kids fired up and ready to play as soon as the game starts today.

I was looking online for some pre game speeches to motivate the kids and get them fired up, and stumbled upon a site I thought I'd share:
http://pregamespeech...m/speeches.aspx

I'm not typically one for long winded speeches, but today I'm going to take some bits and pieces from the stuff I've found and patch together a bit more of a story for the kids to think about before going out on the field.

We'll see how it turns out...

#2 Texas_D_Coach

Texas_D_Coach

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

BTW, on that website I just looked at the free stuff...Not recommending anyone buy anything.

#3 Coach Rob

Coach Rob

Ineligible Receiver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

Like it, thanks. I'm going to use/modify some of those for my current basketball team. I've been using a current reference point that is personal for the kids. One example is a recent game when we played against Dakota Ridge. My kids played off the hook, hustling, blocking out, rebounding, etc. When I say "Dakota Ridge", they know what I mean now. Still, I like to throw in those pre/post game speeches.
-CRob

#4 hollad6636

hollad6636

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Texas D,

I have never been much for the big speech. Just curious how it went over and if you got the desired effect?

#5 Texas_D_Coach

Texas_D_Coach

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'm not usually one for long pregame speeches either, but I thought I'd give it a try. The kids seemed to respond, but we still started slow on offense, so it didn't have the full effect I was hoping for...

#6 Kodiakid

Kodiakid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Offense starting slow is unfortunately all too common in football. Do you practice offense first at practice or pregame? I for one think this carries over to the game especially at the youth level with so many two way players. Just gets them in that offensive mindset early.

As far as pre-game speeches. For focus, if your team is not warming up good, I have found to be effective. Unfortunately nothing I can say will ever make anyone play like superman :D .