Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rachel

New Soccer Coach

Guest Rachel

Hi I just found out yesterday(sat apr 6) that monday i start coaching an 8th grade girls soccer team. I am the head coach and have never done this before. I have no ideas how i should handle tryouts. I need some ideas on what kind of drills would be good ad point systems and whatnot so taht i may properly and effectively form my team. If you have ANY ideas please post back or email me(best idea). thanks a bunch!

rachel

aggiegal04@hotmail.com

Guest Gian Cavaliere

Hey there.

I have volunteered to coach soccer in the summer and I've been asked to coach the 4-6 year olds. I've coached other sports before at higher ages but I don't really know the sport of soccer that well. Basically, I'd like to know if anyone has any tips on what kinds of fun things I can use in my practices in order to maintain a fun atmosphere but yet an educational one at the same time.j

Thanks.

Guest Jerry McIntyre

This spring season was my first year coaching. I went in with no knowledge of the game and had the same concerns that you may have. The biggest lesson that I have learned is that 4-6 year old group is the easiest you will ever have if you use your heart instead of your head.

Don't try to teach the whole game to the kids, just the basics (this is out of bounds, and that net thingy over there is where you want the ball to go). You may want to take the Coaches Clinic before the season starts for some different games.

imannco2@aol.com

Guest Juan

Gian,

Good luck with your coaching, you have the right attitude so I am sure you will do fine. I encourage you to get a lot of help from your parents find 2 or 3 parents who want to get involved and that you can count on so that you can break your team down into small groups and keep everyone busy.

One of my favorite drills with the younger groups is the cone race drill. Line up all of your kids with a ball at one end of the field. At the other end of the field (30 to 40 yards away) set up 10 - 15 cones in a small circle. On the whistle have all players kick their ball and follow it. The goal is to get to the cones as quickly as possible and knock down the cones. Once all cones are knocked down the players are to return to the starting point.

Juan