We got 4 practices in prior to the 1st game. About 5.5 hours of practice time. Due to Spring Break and School evening events we only had about 4 kids make all of the practices.
- Introduction, Rules, etc.
- Did some 1 on 1 flag pulling drills working the base action of the "Dive" & "Counter".
- Introduced the Offensive positions, tried to go with more traditional names, this was confusing for the boys and we went back to our color scheme for naming conventions by the 4th practice.
- Got a "light" install of 3 plays in the first night. RB Dive, WB Counter, and WR Pass. All plays are part of a series designed with the same backfield action for the 4 eligible receivers. WB Counter and WR Pass have PA to the RB on the Dive Action.
- Played a lot of Sharks and Minnows.
- Continued with Flag Pulling Drills with Base action working RB Dive and WB Counter.
- Reviewed Rules & Expectations.
- Light Review of Offense adding in Center Drag Pass, 3 yard out with QB Bootleg Action off the RB Dive.
- Added in Center Belly Draw - Wrap Around Hand Off to the Center (only type of hand off allowed in our league to Center).
- Offense still looks pretty rough.
- Introduce Defensive Positions. We are in a 2-3 Zone. DE main job when ball flowing toward them is to aim at the outside hip of the BC (Ball Carrier) and turn the play back into the middle. Spend a lot of time talking about this and repping it. Teach OLB there job when ball flowing to them is to fill and support the DE. If it is flowing away: Check for a Reverse then sprint at an Angle to "put a cap" on the Run. MLB is free to flow to the ball.
- Sharks and Minnows.
- Review Names and Finalize our Team Name - We have 11 this year, 1st practice only had 10 players present and we ended in a tie of "Devil Dogs" and "The Angry Birds". 11th Player makes it back from Spring Break, 11th Player picks "Devil Dogs", we are the Devil Dogs. We do the Tournament Idea posted on this site. Choices included: Long Bombers, Rolling Thunder, Warthogs, Devil Dogs, Bearcats, Angry Birds, and a few more I can't recall.
- Complete Review of the Offense. 5 Plays in all off the same action w/ 2 plays to the Center: a drag Pass and a Belly Draw.
- Continue Review on Defense stressing DE aim @ outside hip on the sweep and OLB on backside putting a cap on the run (I don't want to give up big plays on Sweep/Reverse).
- Touch briefly on Zone concept, key is for LB not to let a Receiver get behind them.
- Scrimmage for about 10 to 15 minutes. Defense looks good. Only TD given up comes when RB breaks one right up the middle which is the weak point in the team, I know this but most teams are obsessed with getting outside.
- Very light turn out, 2nd grade school musical.
- I install a Rollout Pass that give the QB 2 options, 1 short 1 deep, easy read. I will have to review with a couple prior to the 1st game. We also work the Center Drag pass footwork, QB are having trouble remembering to boot out (Reverse Pivot).
- Quick review of Offense for those who are there.
- Quick verbal review of Defense.
- We end practice with some 1 on 1 Receiver vs DB drills w/ me at QB. Kids Love it.