• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lynnie

Lynnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hiya! This is my first year coaching. I took the 8-10 year old girls for softball by "request" of an ump in the next division up. He knew who my coaches were and how I/we played and thought I would be a great coach with the littler kids.

I just finished my season and it was a 'success' in that all the girls improved. This year was definately one for fundamentals(sp?). I had a first year team with 2 girls that have played before and even they didn't know the basics. The coach they had worked with a few girls and stuck the rest in the outfield. He was one of the parents this year... you don't want to know that whole situation.

Anyways... I was wondering if anyone knew any ways to make working on fielding and batting fun for the kids? One of the girls showed me an "uno" game they played and it seemed fun, but I have to work on making it a little more 'useful'. I plan on having practices for the girls who would like it even though the season is over. So... any ideas???

#2 CoachThomas

CoachThomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Softball: Was a softball pitcher in high school and college; recieved a scholorship to play softball in college; All American Rookie Pitcher of the Year in 1999; College softball pitching coach for 3 years; give private pitching lessons for ages 8-14<br /><br />Basketball: First year coaching basketball for middle school<br /><br />Track &amp; Field: First year coaching middle school track and field

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:38 PM

There's a game that I played in high school but this can be played with any level. You have one person start at each position. The you have a hitter. You can use either a real pitcher or a pitching machine. The batter hits the ball. If they get out, then they rotate. The hitter goes to RF, RF moves to CF, CF moves to LF, LF moves to 3rd, 3rd moves to SS, SS moves to 2nd, 2nd moves to 1st, and 1st goes in to the end of the line to hit. This works because it gives everybody a chance to play every position. It also gives them each a chance to hit. It puts pressure on the fielders to make the plays so that they can move on to the next position. It's always been fun and it keeps everybody active and attentive.

#3 G2G

G2G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

There are a ton of games out there to play, I am on a family trip or I would send you a list of games to play. We just took it off my website, so I will have to send it to you. If you send me a reminder email I will do that when I get home. But one game we play is the hitting game. You divide the team up in two teams. One is hitting and the other is in the field the team in the field is trying to stop balls getting past the bases on the ground or hitting the outfield in the air. The offensive team is given two minutes. The hitter hits until she does not score a point. A ground ball past the bases is one point, hits the grass two points and over the outfielders head is three points. I hope I explained this OK, I am in a hurry. This is a good game because it works on fielding, hitting under pressure and team communication.
Scott Miller

#4 G2G

G2G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

I use games every once in awhile to break up the routine of daily practice. The games that I am going to describe are all games the kids love and they are still working on skills they can use. Games can be used as rewards also for working hard; also they can be used for conditioning.

Thunder Ball- Thunder Ball is great for conditioning and also great to work on base running. You will divide the team into two separate teams. The team on offense is at home plate and half the defensive team are at first and the other are at third. The offensive team will hit a soft tossed ball anywhere in fair territory. After contact they will run the bases. The defensive team after the ball is contacted will run after the ball and both players have to touch the ball, they may not throw the ball backwards or carry it, they just touch it. The person running the bases continues running until both players touch the ball. The offensive team scores by how many bags are touched before the other team touches the ball. An example: Player hits the ball to left field she is rounding to go to third when both players touch the ball, the team will get two points.

Hitting Game- The hitting game is designed to work on defense and have girls hit in pressure situations. The team is divided into two separate teams, offense and defense. The defensive team can play anywhere on the field they choose, once they get the hang of it strategy will play a role. The offensive team will line up at home plate; one girl is in the batters box the rest are in a line a safe distance away. The girl hitting will stay hitting until she does not score a point. The way to score a point is 1 point: ground ball to the outfield, 2 points: ball that hits the outfield grass in the air, 3 points: ball over the outfielders head, 4 points: Homerun. The offensive team will hit for 2 minutes and then the teams switch. The defense is trying to stop ground ball from getting through the infield and fly balls from hitting the grass. The point system can be changed to whatever you feel you want to emphasize.

Protect the Backstop: Protect the backstop is a game that works on hitting and defense. This game is better played with 14 U girls and not the older ones. The offensive team will hit from second base or farther back if they are older. You can soft toss them balls or you can have them hit off the tee. Their goal is to hit the backstop. They get points for every time they hit it. The defensive team is lined up in front of the backstop trying to stop the ball from reaching the backstop. They can position themselves any way that they see fit.

Pepper: Pepper is a fun game that working on handling of the bat and fielding. One player is a hitter and the rest are about ten feet away in a straight line. The left side of the line is the beginning of the line. A player in the throws the ball to the hitter who just check swings to hit a ground ball to the players in a line. She gets out two ways, 1. Misses the ball then the girl at the head of the line becomes the hitter and the hitter goes to the back of the line, 2. The hitter pop up or lines out and then the player who caught the ball is now the hitter and the hitter goes to the back of the line.

Scott Miller
www.gaptogapsoftball.com

#5 cgh

cgh

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

I do a star drill with base runners. Hit to 2d, 2d throws to 3d, 3d to 1st, 1st to ss, ss to catcher. During all this the runner takes of as the ball is batted and tries to make it all the way around, if she beats the throw to the catcher then every one in the infield does a goofy dance, if not then the batters have to do the goofy dance.

#6 itsrobie

itsrobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Fun Practices!
I've done batting practice with water baloons. I was a big hit!

We play a game called touch em all. Batter hits a ball and runs all the way around the bases without stopping. The fielders must throw the ball and tag all bases (in any order or specific order) then throw home before the batter gets all the way around. Hits in the outfield throws to 2nd then home only. The kids love it!

Another fun simple game is a throwing relay race. Divide into two teams. Space two sets of 2 bases far enough apart to allow for a decent throw for all players. Place a player at each base and space the remaining players equally between the bases. Start with balls at one end. Teams must throw down the line tag the other base and throw down the line back. Be sure to rotate so all players play all spots. Easy and FUN!

ANYONE ELSE? I'm looking for more.

#7 Coach Lia

Coach Lia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I commend you by thinking of ways to make practice fun for your players. Keeping players motivated will help you to see fast improvements.

Hope this helps
http://www.softballp...oftball-drills/
Coach Lia
Softball Peak Performance Coach
"Nothing softba about it"