Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shupien1626

Youth Football Adding Fun

I am coaching a mixed 4th-5th grade team. As far as the fundamentals are covered my coaches and I have that down pat. I am hoping to find some ways to add some fun to drills and conditioning. Or even just something fun that involves the whole team that isn't conditioning or drill. We do relay races for conditioning and the west point drill. But I am hoping to get some new ideas to break up the same daily routine. Any ideas I would greatly appreciate.

Josh

Boys are generally ultra competitive. If there is a reward/punishment (i.e. a discernible winner and loser), I have found that the participation spikes amazingly upwards. If I am scrimmaging offense against defense (usually first team O against a 12 man defense), I make a game out of it. If the offense fails to get 10 yards in 3 or 4 plays, the defense has the option of making the offense do 10 up-downs, 10 leg lifts, or a run to the far fence and back. If the defense let's up a touchdown (read as a longer than 15 yard play), the offense gets the same choice for the defense. Scrimmages become much more energetic and game-like.