Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Connie

Teaching 4 -6 Year Olds

I am coaching a kid's sports class and I have 1 hour to teach theses kids basic ideas for each game I teach. What would you recommend as the basics to teach for baseball? I don't really know the sport that well.

I was thinking of having them hit a bigger nerf ball of a tee for batting, practice throwing and catching, and run the bases a little bit. I don't know if it is a good idea to have them try to play a small game even though I know they will want to.

I am open for any ideas...

Thanks,

Connie

Great question! It is obviously difficult to teach a lot in one hour and I am guessing that you will be hands on based on your suggested approach. I think that I would try and teach them something basic about the sport and try to incorporate it in a fun way. Try something like this, divide the group into two groups. Position on set of the children behind second base and the other behind homeplate. You can make it a relay race. Give each team a baseball. The player runs to the next base so from home the player runs to first, before getting there they have to yell the name of the base. Continue until complete. When you are done you may have taught them the names of the bases. I would then teach them the basic mechanice of throwing. I use a saying that when you throw its thumb to thigh hand to sky. Helps teach or enforce the windmill throwing action. The last thing that I would go over with them is fielding. Again I use a saying that goes, Elephant, alligator, belly button. The arm with the glove is the elephant the 'trunk' is on the ground ready for the ball, the throwing arm is alligator. As the ball is entering the elephant you trap it with the alligator then both hands raise together to the belly button.

Hitting is very complex and I would think that one hour is already used up.

If you do venture into hitting, a simple set up and swing motion would be enough.

I hope this helps. and good luck

Not neccessarily adding the fun aspect but a couple of things to look out for with this age group.

Throwing: Make sure the kids are stepping toward the direction of the throw with their opposite foot. If you throw right handed - step with your left. I know this seems obvious but you'll notice it is not intuitive for all kids. Once they start doing it - their throwing improves.

Catching: We all know kids can't sit/stand still and when catching a ball they love to throw in all kind of body movements. They hop, lunge toward the ball, turn sideways, etc. Teach them they only need to move one thing to catch the ball (and protect themselves) --- their glove! Use the soft baseball -- this age still misses a lot!

Batting: Good stance with proper hand position. Hands together - right over left (righties). Hit off a tee. Final hit off the tee -- let them run around the bases. Kids love running the bases!

Just my thoughts on some basic stuff --- they are still real young!!!

Good luck!