Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heather&rebecca

Getting In The Ready Position

Does anyone have any good drills or ideas to get my girls to get in the ready position? Ive tried telling them over and over to get on their toes and not stand flat footed or even pulling their heels off the floor so that they have to put their weight on the balls of their feet, but they all act like cant keep their balance while doing so. im looking for a drill that will make them do it without even thikning, because i just dont think they understand what im trying to get them to do. Please help :(

This isn't so much a drill as something I do to keep the "ready position" on their minds. At the beginning of practice I have the girls line up. I have taught them that when I yell "ready" they have to jump into that ready position. When they jump into the "ready" position together there should be a loud thud in the gym as their feet all come down together. The first time they do it I ususally say something like "that was soooo weak." Then I yell "ready" again. They make a point of all coming down together so they hear that loud thud. Then I yell something like "awesome girls." Then when they are in the "ready" position I yell "clap once," which they do, then, "clap twice," which they do, then "clap three times," which they do. They love this. I go through this process a few times and it gets them fired up and ready to practice. Then during the games, who ever is in the back and left position is called our leader and they are responsible for yelling "ready" before each serve. They are also responsible for looking around the court and making sure everybody is in fact ready and reminding the other girls to get ready. I run a continuous rotation so every girl is the "leader" several times during a three game match. It keeps the idea of "ready" at the surface at all times. I hope this helps. How is your season going?

You might try getting a length of 2x4 and have them balance on it in your ready position. With their toes on the front edge, they will naturally raise their heels a little to balance themselves. In addition to their feet, you may want to see what effect their arm location has on their balance, and adjust if necessary.

Another aspect of the ready position that you might have them check is to see, after they have moved into that position, if they raise or lower their center of gravity when they move in any direction. If they do, they aren't quite in the correct balance. A few attempts will probable let them see - and feel - where they should be.

Good luck

john