Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BAMAPACKER

Any Defenseive Suggestions For9-10yearolds

Can anyone give me any good ideas and or websites for defenseive schmes for 9-10 year olds that is not too complex. I am one of the assistant coaches on my sons Pop Warner team this year and I will prolly be incharge of defense. I have not coachedfor 2 years and the D I ran for 7-8 year olds will notowork at this level I dont think. any help would be great THANKS!!

ROLL TIDE!! from the Frozen Tundra!!

I don't know of a specific defense that appeals to you but there are certainly lots of defenses out there. Coach John T Reed wrote a few books on youth football. I have read his Coaching Youth Football in which he talks about several defenses and presents his Gap Air Mirror. I've never run the GAM so I can not testify to it. There are lots of websites you can run through such as Defense is an Attitude for resources.

I coach 11, 12, and 13 YO (Jr. Midget) and we actually run several defensive formation. I do see a lot of 5-3 being run out there. One arguement that Coach Reed puts forth in his philosophy and one that I agree with is to be a bit contrarian. In other words, don't run the same thing everyone else in your leage runs. The reason is simple, offenses are used to running against their own defense so why run a defense that the other teams are used to practicing against?

Whatever system you use, find a way to get your linemen into gaps and not locked into stalemate pushing with the OL.

Good Luck!