Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WVYOUTHCOACH

Defensive Reads

What is a good age for kids to be taught "reads" especially lb's At this time my kids have only been taught gap assignments. We've moved up to another level this year 9-10-11 year olds so I wonder if any of you have had success with reads at this level or is it still to young!! Thanks Jeff

What is a good age for kids to be taught "reads" especially lb's At this time my kids have only been taught gap assignments. We've moved up to another level this year 9-10-11 year olds so I wonder if any of you have had success with reads at this level or is it still to young!! Thanks Jeff

Coach , the sooner you teach reads the sooner your defense stuffs the run and pass every down. Reads are not something to make a boys life tougher but to make the job at hand EASIER. I am not sure why some fear any type of reads...you cannot react if you cannot read, if you cannot react than you cannot play defense. I am a coach that believes in attacking defense...you attack your reads and keys!

IN the 46 Gambler defense we protect the lbers from linemen that might otherwise try to block them. thats part of our philosophy, keep the best tacklers free to be the "hit men" in the defense. Now, to get them to the point of attack we give them a key...the near back. if that near back comes we attack his first step. if he goes we attack that first step WHILE READING for another back crossing or a guard pulling to him. I have coaches all over the world teaching these reads and keys to 7 and 8 years olds up thru and including the high school level.

Dont let the word "read" scare you, these boys "read and react" constantly when they play video games. seriously.

www.coachcalande.com

Thanks Coach!! I've been able to get information about your 46-gambler from your forum!! Is their anyway I could get more!! We are a small team (15 to 18 players) so if I have the bodies I need then I plan on using your Def. Thanks again Jeff

Thanks Coach!! I've been able to get information about your 46-gambler from your forum!! Is their anyway I could get more!! We are a small team (15 to 18 players) so if I have the bodies I need then I plan on using your Def. Thanks again Jeff

sure, did you get a copy of the 46 Gambler power point while you were there?- steve

the clinic dvds (4 disc set showing coaches running thru the drills!) and coaching manual are on the www.coachcalande.com site

I did get the powerpoint!! AWESOME INFO I'm going to your site now to check on the DVD's Thanks Jeff

Ill help ya out any way I can...take a look at some of that feedback...you can even see some clips of the lil guys running the 46 Gambler. - S