Y-coach.com - Forum
patscoach

Coach Liability Insurance

Does anyone have any ideas on liability coverage for coaches? Our league, individual teams, officers and one head coach from each team are covered, but none of the assistants. The topic was brought up at team and league board meetings about the necessity of covering the assistants as well. Opinions seemed to be at both ends of the spectrum.

A friend emailed me a law class syllabus from George Mason University regarding sport coach liability and several cases were noted, every one of them scared the bejeezus out of me.That got us thinking.

What, if anything, does your team do? Are there any lawyer/coaches out there with ideas?

It will be interesting what feedback you get from this question!! It's sad that we as volunteers need to worry about this but we do. I document EVERY injury. What happened and what steps were taken afterwards.

Our league was sued last year over a kid playing hurt. So now the league requires a trained nurse or Dr. check out each injury and decide what the next step needs to be.

A player was injured so a coach sat him out. The Dad came over and gave his injured son an ear-full and called him a cry baby. The dad persuaded the coach to put his son back into the game.. The player ended up with a broken back so now our league is being sued for allowing the kid to play injured.

Good Luck Jeff

This is my first year coaching and I had the same question. Since our society is so litigious I grew very concerned but I didn't want anything to stop me from pursuing my dream. A friend suggested that I look in to an affordable legal insurance plan. I feel better knowing that I am protected and have access to council.

Every coach in our program has insurance coverage. We do this through NYSCA. You can visit their website at www.nays.org.

I believe it costs $20 per year. You have to go through their training program. But, it is definitely worth it. You get $2mm general liability and $250k accident medical expense coverage.

Our local recreation center does the training and will cover the expense for any coach. Since most of us coaches coach other sports this will follow you to those sports provided you get that sport specific training.