Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jrhamlet

Help! Stayin Low

I coach a 11-12 year old team in Round Rock, TX. I have one kid who is huge and strong . The problem is is that 75% of the time he stands straight u pat the snap of the ball. I have tried everything I know to get this kid to stay low. Yelling,Push up's,running. He just does not seam to get it. I was hoping that someone had some ideas for some drills that I could work on with him. Thanks for the hekp!!!

That is a pretty common problem there coach, One that many coaches have the same problem with.

I don't know if you have or have access to a lineman chute. I built one 8 years a go at work out of 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe it's a 5 man chute down sized for youth. I coach the same age group as you. I was having the same problems so I built the chute, but what really made the difference in keeping the lineman firing out low was switching to hand shields instead of stand up dummies.

Using hand shields instead of dummies lets the bag holder have better controll and can give better resistance, but the key is to have the bag holder exaggerate holding the bag low to the ground so the lineman have no choice but to fire out low to engage the hand shield.

You have to rep your players hundreds and hundreds of times through out the season it's a great tool, I have had opposing coaches ask me how we get our line to fire out so hard and low. I just say that we spend a lot of time with the most important part of our team, which we do.

This gets brought up so often and I realize that not everyone has access to a shop, welder, and $400 dollars of pipe but you could do the same thing with some fence posts and rope.

good luck

I coach a 11-12 year old team in Round Rock, TX. I have one kid who is huge and strong . The problem is is that 75% of the time he stands straight u pat the snap of the ball. I have tried everything I know to get this kid to stay low. Yelling,Push up's,running. He just does not seam to get it. I was hoping that someone had some ideas for some drills that I could work on with him. Thanks for the hekp!!!

Make them explode under some hurdles for 5 yards...he will need to stay low if he does not want to hit them.

I realize this is pretty late reply but DumCoach's "12 Perfect Blocks" gets rave reviews. I fully intend to use it next season from the first day of practice.

This is the link to DC's site. http://www.dumcoach.com/viewthread.php?tid=2551#pid23724

Read the entire thread to get a good understanding of what to do with this drill. DC has a reply near the bottom of the thread that has info that slightly differs form what is found on the attachment.

That is a pretty common problem there coach, One that many coaches have the same problem with.

I don't know if you have or have access to a lineman chute. I built one 8 years a go at work out of 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe it's a 5 man chute down sized for youth. I coach the same age group as you. I was having the same problems so I built the chute, but what really made the difference in keeping the lineman firing out low was switching to hand shields instead of stand up dummies.

Using hand shields instead of dummies lets the bag holder have better controll and can give better resistance, but the key is to have the bag holder exaggerate holding the bag low to the ground so the lineman have no choice but to fire out low to engage the hand shield.

You have to rep your players hundreds and hundreds of times through out the season it's a great tool, I have had opposing coaches ask me how we get our line to fire out so hard and low. I just say that we spend a lot of time with the most important part of our team, which we do.

This gets brought up so often and I realize that not everyone has access to a shop, welder, and $400 dollars of pipe but you could do the same thing with some fence posts and rope.

good luck

Two great line videos: