Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coachingdad

Speed Training Devices

I've been evaluating all kinds of speed training devices and instructional videos/dvds with regard to increasing linear and lateral speed for young athletes. I'm no expert (just a dad trying to help out his boys), but I have found many devices claiming to increase speed but feel many of them to be"gimmicky". My son has better than average speed, but were both looking to get him to his peak. His mechanics are fine. Can anyone help me out in sifting through all the various devices that claim to increase speed with proven experience with a particular device(s) or method?

Dad,

I own a speed and athletic development business in North Dallas. You don't any type of gadgets...there an absolute waste of time for kids.

I have some stuff posted on my website about speed training. IF you go to www.gregorydoublewing.com and click on Youth Development (to the left) you can get a lot of information there. I would suggest reading my article on Dynamic Flexibility Warm ups that I wrote for Direct Snap. You can click on that to the right and go down to the date I have listed.

Basically you need to make sure your son is learning good movement skills, improving coordination, balance, and stablity.

If you have questions feel free to email me at fasterthenlight@sbcglobal.net

I would also recommend getting with a speed trainer (talk to him first) make sure he uses Functional Conditioning and not a bunch of toys. Make sure he has a background in training kids (not adults) they are all together different.

Jack

fasterthenlight.net

jag,

I received some of his material at a Rutgers Youth Football Clinic this past Spring. I have a minor problem in that my son is only 7 years old, but he is already 4'6" 85lbs. We needed some agility and speed drills to correct the "awkwardness" that comes with his size.

Brian Grasso's material has helped tremendously and I 've seen rapid improvement in his footwork and general mobility in just a few months.