Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach-K

Linebacker Responsibility

Coach,

We run a 5-4 with 2 CB at the same depth as the LB's but 10 yards outside the OLB's (basically a 5-6). Our 5 DL are head up on the Center, Guards and Ends (by league rule) with the Tackles left uncovered.

The 3 interior DL are told to penetrate and create as much havoc as possible in the backfield and the DE's box the ends 3-5 yards deep. The corners strictly protect the edge and force plays in. This leaves the C gap in question.

We have several coaches with different opinions on positioning and reponsibilities of the LB's. What should the ILB's and OLB's positioning and responsibilities be?

We just had a fairly lively discussion of gaps responsibility and lb play across a couple of threads. Take a look in the 5-3 questions, help coaching D, and 4-4 questions threads for more. For now, there are lots of ways to skin this as shown in those discussions. If it were me, my initial thought is I would have the OLB's have primary C gap support in what you described. I would flow your ILBs to the C gap to support as the play develops to one side or the other. You need to have more than one player flowing to the ball or power football is going to kill you on the off tackle.

I have not run said 5-4 but I would likely do something like:

----B--W---M----$

C--E---T-N-T-----E----C

-----T--G-C-G-T-Y

Primary Gaps could be something like:

E - box contain

Bandit - C

Will - B

T - A gap

N - A gap

T - B gap

Mike supports middle and C gap to his side

$am - C gap

E - box contain

where I am staking Will and Mike behind the DT's and I have Bandit and $ basically over the C gap. Again, but one way to do it.

Another option would be to run it like a 5-3 with the DT's inside. You could have 3 backers - Will, Mike, and $am. Bandit would then play like a strong safety in the box by going to the TE side or lining up on the edge or in a gap to blitz. That is a bit more complex and it depends on how old your kids are and how well they would adapt to a shifting Bandit backer or monster man if you will.

Basically, you have nine in the box with a maximum of 8 gaps to control. that gives you a free man to work with. However, do not forget pass coverage out of this scheme. For example, if there is a Flanker and TE to one side, you now have two possible receivers so your CB has Z and I would guess your OLB or your monster would have Y. Consider how you will adapt to split twins, trips, quads, backfield receivers and motioning in and out of these formation.

Coach,

I have an article on Training Youth Defensive Interior Lineman that might be helpful. Go to www.gregorydoublewing.com and click on Articles.

First what technique are your DTs and NT performing? Penetrating into the blocker or a gap?

I would pick a gap so that you now have LB's pick up the other gaps and read but with your head up rule I might use the PRESSURE NOSE TACKLE/Defensive Tackle tech that I use in my article on the eagle front (DT-NG-DT). It is not that hard to teach. But if you have small fast guys I would use a GAP technique.

You have two weaknesses in this front that the backers need to cover.

1) B-C gap is weak because the OT can down or double the HEAD UP DT. Same for the head up DE as the TE and OT can do the same thing on the outside.

2) The D gap is weak since you aligning your DE head up so he can now be hooked/reached.

I would align my LB's 4 yards deep and their inside toe over the outside toe of the OT. Key the OT (very easy read).

First no matter what you do the LB must take a READ STEP in this case he takes two very quick fast steps towards the LOS (OT) . He must stay low in his stance and keep a good wide base and step up as he reads.

IF THE OT DOWNS THE DT he fills off the the OT's hip fasts. ATTACK DOWN HILL. If a lead blocker comes he meets the lead blocker with his inside shoulder/forearms and drive him into the hole or clears past him if he can (he goes through him not around him). He takes him on with the inside shoulder to seal off the outside lane and force him inside (where the help is).

(this covers a down or double team).

IF THE OT DRIVES (comes at the LB) the ball is coming to him. He fires off and meets the OT with the inside shoulder/forearm and drives him back or clears him (as above). He maintains outside leverage.

IF THE OT PASS BLOCKS you have a few options (you can tag this). No matter the case he sounds off PASS!!!!

He can now either drop in the hook/zone and play pass, cover a man (you specifiy), or bull rush that OT as soon as he sees the drop. If he blitzs like that the key is as he makes his read step as soon as he sees the OT drop he attack through him (remember the OT is backing up) so if you can get the LB into him you will drive him on his heels and pancake him as you go through to the passer. Teach a good bull & jerk to the outside (roll/bootleg) or inside (drop or away).

OT pulls INSIDE - get on his hip and into the backfield and make a play.

OT pulls OUTSIDE -get on his hip and into the backfiled and make a play.

OT REACHES or CUT OFF - if the OT crosses your face laterally you must have the LB attack through his outside shoulder clear him and get behind the OT and make a play. If the OT gets the outside shoulder he has to fight to the outside and stay flat as possible (attack up field) and force the play wide. KEEP OUTSIDE SHOULDER FREE!!!

I good technique to clear a reach is to have the LB sink his inside arm and sweep under and outward as the LB comes up to meet the OT. This drives the LB's inside hip past the outside hip of the OT.

He must watch for the TE down block and if it comes he must meet it and fight through it.

I would personally use a outside slant tech on the DE's so that they can play contain.

On sweep situations I would stunt the LB outside and slant the DE inside as well (Stunt).

If the play is a sweep to his side he stay on the inside of the runner's shoulder and attack him down hill as he pursues.

I would play two OLB's as well on the outside edge of the DE playing D gap have them key the near/deep back. If the back comes he attacks the back on the outside shoulder and makes a play (lead blocker he stops and drives back). He does not allow defender to cross his face. If back goes away he instantly looks into the backfield and cross keys anyone coming (counter/reverse) and then pursues if clear.

Not sure of your age group but if it is young I would play two safeties and on occassion invert them to the LOS (on the outside edge) otherwise I would place them 10 yards deep on the inside toe of the last offensive player. I am guessing it is a young age group and you see a lot of double tight ends.

Hope that helps.

Jack