Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dano

Taking The Next Step

I have been coaching for years and recently have begun to question whether or not my philosophy is shared by anyone other than myself. I'm currently coaching at the 5th and 6th grade level with my sons. I believe in keeping it light and fun. I expect my players to give me a lot of effort but beyond that I'm not too hard on them. My offense is simple and everyone gets to play. I spend a considerable amount of time preparing my practices and keeping things in order for my team. I hear from every other person that it's not all about winning but when it comes to game time that's all everyone wants. My teams are beginning to struggle against the teams in our league. The other coaches practice more often, are harder on their kids, seem to take it more serous than I believe it should be. I had other coaches scouting and filming my 4th grade team last year durning games. I couldn't believe it. I don't believe in making winning your number one goal but it has to be attainable to keep your player's spirits in the game. These coaches are forcing me to become what I despise. I was just wondering if anyone else shared these same feelings or had some advise for me to keep my team competitive yet stay grounded at the same time.

Edited by Dano

Dano,

I also coach at that age level. I have a similer coaching philosophy as you do. I have said many times on this forum, that youth sports no matter what it is IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS, NOT THE ADULTS. Nothing makes me more dissapointed than a youth coach or league who thinks that they are involed in Div. 1 football or the NFL. Stick to your guns. remember a this age its not about winning its about teaching. We only do 4.5 hrs a week for practice, once in a while we would go an extra day (1.5 hrs) we don't stress winning or bad sportsmanship, we stress teamwork and execution. At this level it really doesn't matter how good your players are its not like your qb is going to go 25/31, 280yrds, and 3 TD's. Peyton Manning could be taking your snaps it just aint gonna happen. With that in mind, we should still be working on fundamentals. I know it can get hard because your trying to keep your kids competitive but good fundamentals can overcome almost eveerything. I don't know about other coaches but, i'll take a very good block for 5 yrds over a miss tackle for 6 any day of the week. They reason I say that is because a good block overtime is going to be more consistant than with miss blocks. Luck helps but, fundamentals is what makes things succesful no matter what we are doing in life. Remember the concept of youth sports is about life lessons while having fun doing it. If we can teach OUR children (that means every child that is involved in you your sport on or off your team) great fundamentals in sports, then maybe it could carry over in the real world.

hope this helps you