Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Coach

Big Game.... No Assistant Coach!

Hey guys..... I haven't been posting to much lately, however I am always a frequent visiter here on the boards. We decided to play this spring for the first time and I carried 3 kids over from my fall team which includes my son in the 3. We have had a great season as we finished 8-2 and went into the playoffs seeded #3. We received a 1st round bye and won our 2nd round game last night in a close 9-0 victory. That brings us to tonight. If we win this game tonight, we will play for the championship on Saturday, so the stakes are high. We also play a team who beat us in the 4th game in a close close game. They edged us 8-7 and scored their TD with a minute left in the game to take it. The kids are hyped and ready to avenge this loss, I expect 110% out of them tonight. Here's my dilemma....

My defensive coach has just had an emergency and will not be making it to the game tonight! That leaves just me to coach the offense and defense... a mighty task given the circumstances of the playoffs, vs a great team and keeping focus! I know some coaches here have coached alone and earlier this season I had to call the game all by myself as well, but that game was a against lesser skilled opponent, we won. I'm not sure the point of this thread, but just to say I am nervous having to bear all the responsibility on my own tonight, I'm nervous I wont call as effective of an offense because I will be worrying about defense and finally I am nervous on keeping the kids engaged and focused. Our system worked well with both of us focusing on each unit. Now. I do just want to say that I feel I am good at coaching defense, I actually prefer it.... I just am nervous if I'll be able to be as effective with being spread out.

Again, I dont know the reason for this thread except that I need some encouragement or praise to lift me up a bit. You all are a great group of coaches and my teams would NEVER be this organized and effective if it wasn't for finding this site with Coach Rob and Orange a year or two ago! The information from ALL the posters is fantastic!!! I need some tips and help guys. My kids are counting on it and I can't show up tonight with any doubt on my face or in my body language! Thanks a bunch.....

Draft an assistant from one of the parents. Not someone to run the defense or offense, you still do that. Instead you should pull someone who can run the sideline for you. Pick someone who has coached before, basketball, baseball, soccer, whatever. Be very specific with them about what you want done on the sideline. I'd want a sideline coach who can keep the kids in line, focused on the game, ready to sub-in, etc. I'd want them to have the kids not in the game, in the game so to speak. That way you can totally focus on calling the plays. Draft two if you need it. Have them looking at the defensive alignments and potential weak spots. On defense they should helping you identify the other teams go-to guy.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Good luck.

[Maybe it's easy for me because in our little circle, I have 4-5 fathers with kids on the team who have coached my son in another sport; so I know I can trust them to help me when needed. Hopefully you have the same situation.]

Yes... I have already been thinking of this and I have two dads in mind. One has coached (basketball) and has been on our team a couple seasons now and the other dad is always active with his kid and into the game. I think those two will make good sideline coaches. They can help with praise and the little things like encouragement and the such.

Thanks for the reply.... I just am really nervous, like I might forget something and not be as effective calling plays or identifying weaknesses and go to guys. We'll see.......

I like to hyper focus on the play calling too. That's why I have a sideline coach who can manage every other aspect for me like subs and getting the players ready to go in. I set up the sub patterns before the game then give instructions and forget about it.

you'll be fine, just try to breathe ;)

Yes... I have already been thinking of this and I have two dads in mind. One has coached (basketball) and has been on our team a couple seasons now and the other dad is always active with his kid and into the game. I think those two will make good sideline coaches. They can help with praise and the little things like encouragement and the such.

Thanks for the reply.... I just am really nervous, like I might forget something and not be as effective calling plays or identifying weaknesses and go to guys. We'll see.......

Good Luck Vegas!!

You'll do fine. Just remember to keep calm and organized. Try to know what your plan is before the game, and take Orange's advice with the parents.

Again, I dont know the reason for this thread except that I need some encouragement or praise to lift me up a bit.

You can do it! ;-)

Seriously, I'm confident you will do fine. I am one of those who coached without an assistant for years. In fact, I would have no issue doing that again---but I like to give other's opportunities if they so desire. I like Orange's idea of recruiting a parent to help out on the sidelines. On the bright side, be glad it's not the other way around---i.e. you typically coach defense, but must execute the offense in this game. (Did I open a can of worms?) Ha!

Good luck to you and your team. Regardless of the outcome, I'm certain that you'll do yourself proud.

Pump up your team! When they do something right on the field tonight, make a BIG deal out it. Keep them pumped. "GREAT pull John!" Talk to the kids during the game.... "Jimmy, I need some flag pulls buddy, show me your stuff hotshot!" Things like that. Especially if you see a kid drifting off watching the game beside you.

Sounds like you've had a great yr so far, keep going with what you've done. Don't change things up too much, stay in your groove.

Good luck! Look forward to the update.

Thanks guys for the replies..... heading out to the fields right now! I'm gonna have these kids pumped and sparked up like none before!!! Win or Lose.... we leave it ALL on the field!!!

Please let us all know how you do. There are coaches all over this country rooting for you to do well---and I know of few youth flag football coaches that have this sort of support. This is what makes this such a great forum!

Right on!! Thanks for the support guys..... unfortunately we came up short tonight and lost 12-0. It was a really hard fought game overall, we couldn't put the ball in the endzone and we essentially gave up 2 big plays for their TD's. Their team was just absolutely ON... I mean they were flag machines. I thought maybe they had "stick'em" on their hands, because they didn't miss one flag and swarmed our team all night! I felt I didn't get to concentrate as much as I like on my offense with having to coach defense... I felt that took away from our effectiveness. Oh well.... we had an awesome season finishing 9-3 on the year though!!!

This was my third season coaching and each year my teams have gotten better.... the first year we won 3 games, then last fall we won 7 games and now we win 9. Improvement has been there and I have had all new teams the past 3 seasons as well, with the exception of 3 players the last two seasons. And you want to know the reason for my having success? Of course its being a part of these forums. I have gained so much by listening to you guys and learning. I am so happy this forum is here and I predict it will continue to draw more and more coaches. Thanks to all of you for your help and support!! This site is truly awesome..... I can't wait until this fall where we get after it again!!!!!