Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
vegascoach

Calling All Defense Coaches. Advice Requested

I am a 1st time coach for my sons NFL 5 on 5 flag football team. 7-9 year olds. QB can't run. No pitches or laterals.

I am assistant coaching with an experienced head coach. I am responsible for the defense and he is taking care of the offense.

I would LOVE some input from some experienced coaches on some good defensive drills, as well as different ideas regarding defensive plays.

I am currently working with a 3-2 zone and would like some info regarding some different options.

Thanks in advance!

if your going to see alot of runs then stick with that.i prefer a 2/3 or 2-1-2 but thats because i usually coach older kids.you can always form out of that for teams who start throwing the ball

I'm always a little confused by what people call a 2-3 or 3-2 zone defense. My confusion comes from my lack of understanding on whether or not there is a rusher and from which group he comes, the 2 part or 3 part. If you are suggesting that you sit back in a zone with no rusher I'd say that except for very unusual circumstances, you don't want to do that. Try to always get someone in the quarterbacks face. Before I launch into my different defense philosophies I think you need to clear that up.

3-2 zone? 3 on los, 2 as db's or safeties?

I use a 2-3 zone, 2 on los, 3 in back. Use different rusher from the 3. Teach rusher to come in fast, but not to over pursue. Job of rusher is to make QB hurry the throw. Rusher should try and force QB to weak throwing side.

-drills

Swarming - teach your kids to swarm the ball carrier. Coach has football, kids are facing coach about 5 yards away. Coach rolls right, kids move right, rolls left - they roll left. If coach looks like pass, kids yell pass and back peddle. When coach yells "Swarm!", all the kids should sprint towards coach. Coach can zig zag to make it more difficult, but make sure every kid touches coach.

Create mini field. One or two kids in the middle as flag pullers, everyone else at one end of field. Ball carriers try to make it through middle. If flag is pulled, they join the middle.

Gauntlet - create alleyway with cones - 10 yds apart, 3 defensive players lined up behind each other, line of runners. You can see it at beginning of this video:

Helps with handoffs, running straight and hard (not looking down to see if someone pulled your flag) and gives the flag pullers success. We use this drill at the end of practice to get our kids pumped for the game.