Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
twilli9529

1st Year Players

I'm looking for help on coaching 1st year player 8 yr old. Bulldog Jim I like what you say about offensive line play. I would like a practice schedule if any one has any ideals. I have been out of coachoing for 8 years. so I need help in getting up to speed with a group of 1 year player. I do have a few kid's that have played before.

Coach,

What exactly are you looking for? Your practice schedule is going to be determined by what you are teaching.

Basically this is our basic format. (4 days of practice - 2 offense/ 2 defense during preseason) (2 offense, 1 defense, 1 walk through)

Offense Days

Warm ups

Form Running

Form Tackling

Split into Line and Backs and work on Fundamentals

Team Reps

Special teams

Conditioning or Speed Work (we alternate 2x Speed/2x Conditioing)

Defense Days

Warm ups

Form Running

Form Tackling

Tackling/Pursuit

Split into Backs and Line and work no Fundamentals

Scrimmage (defense is about reaction so we work on specific things in live scrimmage)

Conditioning or Speed Work

For us conditioning is not only physical conditioning but mental conditioning and we work on both aspects with the kids so that they are mentally and physically conditioned for football.

Jack

I have pulled out my old practice schedule, So I'm set there. Before the 1st practice last night I had no ideal that I would be coaching. The park eneded up with enough player for a 3rd team, and a coach with no staff. So I jump in the first chance I got.

We have kids that never played before, some act like they never played outside before (also my son's first year). So yesterday I spent a lot of time working on stance and getting them to line up correctly drills..I do remember from my last experience that getting them to line up for drills or formation was like the beginning to letting them know that being in the right place is the most important part of football.

I have not decided what type of offense or defense we run? So I guess me and the coach will get together and decide He has no coaching experience from what he tells me. So I will try to lead without taking over. Any advice............My last coaching experience we where successful....but that was "THEN and this is NOW"

Coach,

I recommend you visit www.fbforyouth.com and www.youthfootballcentral.com. Both have links and articles that you can use.

I can send you some stuff as well.

Jack

At that level, most defenses are going to try to overload either the nose or the wide side of the field. Basic Man, Gap, Back blocking schemes seem to work best. A line down technigue is also effective but the D will figure it out quickly so it is effective used sparingly.

If you have access to a sled, the line should be on it daily. Board drills are also good. The board drill will help OL learn to stay square and drive. Measure out about ten yards by 3-5 yards and put two lineman in a good stance in the middle. On the snap, whistle, count, they attempt to drive the opponent beyond the markers, staying square. The winner stays and takes on the next.

Find yourself a good strong center. He has to be vocal. Obviously at that age he will not be able to make line calls, however, He should be able to recognize and call out the blitzes and the defensive threats. Personally, I tell my line to talk on the way to and at the line about who they are going to block. I do not care if the defense knows. Good communication and an understanding of of where the threat is coming from and who has who makes a line difficult to beat. Especially at that age.

As far as practice schedules. I use them, however, I rarely stick to them. They are more of a guideline to me. That is generally not a good coaching "tool" but that's how I learned and have pretty much stuck with it. I tell all my coaches that we coach on Saturdays. During the week we teach and prepare. There are things I want to work on that I will set aside 20 mins. for that I have to run over on time. this puts a crunch on other things. My S-Teams coach usually is the one to suffer and will give me an ear-full! It all works out in the end. Each team is different and therefore what you need to concentrare on any given day will be different than any other. You, knowing your kids and team, is the only qualified person who can make the determination as to what you need to work on.

Good luck.

Just wanted to checked in and thank all of you for the great advice. We start reg season this week. We played a practice game last week and won, so of to a good start.

The biggest problem so far is getting the "Playstation II Kid's" to play aggressive.

I'm working with a coaching staff that rather run plays live, than work on fundmental so I find myself stealing time to get the qualty tackling time in.

Any help with this? Without getting into a Power Struggle!!!!!!

Coach,

It is my experience that the teams that practice fundatmentals and do less scrimmaging (once week) are the better teams. This is because they are well prepared and fundamentally sound.

You scrimmage to test technique and fundamentals...you have to teach those first.

Jack