Y-coach.com - Forum
coachjones49224

Keeping Kids Safe

Hey Guys,

A couple of years ago i coached 3rd & 4th graders in my town. It was atually my first year coaching. One particular practince a player got hurt during a play ( it turned out not to be serious). My linebacker made a neck tackle on my rb. while i was attending to my rb the other players started to play around, some weren't wearing thier helmets so needless to say other ended up getting hurt (nothing serious). i had stressed to them all season that the football field wasn't a place for goofing around, so it kinda made me upset so i got on to them verbally i was pretty loud. there were parents there and some were showing up during my "escapade" keep in mind i was stressing my disappointment on the horseplay and that were 3-4 kids that just got hurt. to make a long story short the parents that showed up during late immediatly complaind to the recreation director that i was yelling at the kids, the parents that witness everything that happened supported me, which kind of split the team. me and the rec. dir. went round and round why i yelled at the kids to keep them safe. i wasn't ask to coach there last season due to that incident, but many of the kids and parents come to my store and ask me if im going to coach there again and if so they would sign their children up. so basically my question to you guys is that was i wrong for getting on the kids for trying to keep them safe/ and should i coach there again?because i really missed coaching the kids in my town.

That is a tough one - in my opinion, your heart was in the right place and I understand the stress completely. In a game last year, a kid on the other team got hurt near our sideline (not serious but was down for a bit) and our kids started goofing nad playing and I heard one taunt. I was irate. I did bite my lip and told them to all take a knee and not to speak. It worked well and we did it for all injuries the rest of the year. I later explained the lesson - to respect all players no matter what the color of their jersey. The kid who was hurt was a player and he kid just like them and he went to practice and sweated and worked hard just like them. Jeering him and clowing around was disrespectful. Truth be known, I wanted to pop my top when I heard the inital jeer. We have to remember, these are kids. I coach Jr. Midget and your kids are younger. So, yes, I think yelling was the wrong approach. However, I do understand the frustration and concern.

that said, I would assume you have learned from the event and if you love coaching, go make ammends and see what the league has to say. Coach's are human too and we make mistakes. Unfortunately, sometimes the community believes we have to be infallible.

Good Luck.

Nothing infuriates me more than horse play or dinking around as I call it. We had a kid break his arm running onto the practice field a couple years ago and it was because of kids screwing around. I disipline alot and sometimes yell and sometimes call individuals out infront of the whole group. Sometimes I say if you guys don't want to concentrate on football and get better, you might as well run because that will get you in shape and make you better. I don't make threats I carry out punishment just like with my own kids at home. Football practice is the only dicipline some of these kids ever get.

I don't blame you for yelling one bit, and parents complaining about you watching out for their childs saftey is crazy.

I may get down on the kids alot, but the parents soon realize I also pick them up when they do something good. Some new players parents are taken back with my coaching style but the parents of the second year players calm them down and have them watch and see what I can get out of their child.

If you enjoy coaching and love the kids and what you do I say definatly start coaching again

good luck

thank you guys for your opinion, i read alot of replies that you two coaches have i have a lot of respect for what you have to say. as it stands now im going be an assistant in my town for the 5th & 6th graders. its going to be hard because the rec. dir. is going to be head coach.

As I will be playing the assistant role I know that loyalty to the program is very important. the H.C. and I have the same goal with coaching but, two diffrent ways of approaching them. I'm more of a "let every child play & practice" to learn and he is more let the "better' kids play and practice while the others watch & learn. I'm just wondering how long can I keep my sanity.

There are openings the next town over for 7th and 8th grade but, i don't think i'm ready for that skill level just yet.

Thanls you guys for your opinions.

no problem and thanks for the kind words. Stay on board hear and let us know how it goes.

BTW - 7th and 8th grade is a lot of fun. It is the last step before HS and we have been working with our HS coachs a lot this year. They are excited about our commitment which will mean they get players with stronger fundamentals and who hear a lot of the same terminoligy. anyway, it is a great age to teach, they are very coachable and you can do a little bit more advanced stuff like some run blitzes and a bit more passing.

Good luck and have fun!

Coach Jones,

thanks, If you are the assistant, will you be assigned as a coordinator for the offense or defense? If so, you should be able to use more of your coaching style as a coordinator. If you are just an assistant to the head coach do the best you can because there is nothing worse for a team than two coaches butting heads.

My first three years as a coach I coached 7th & 8th graders it was a blast but not really that much different from coaching 5th and 6th graders.

good luck this season!