Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winston

Need Help Coaching [youth] Defense

Hi everyone, I just came across this forum while searching the net for help. I have just been asked to coach the defense on an 8-10 year old team. I have never coached defense before and so i am in need of help and have a million questions. 2 coaches had promised to help me before and started to but since I haven't heard from them in a few days I decided to go out and look for help again as time is not on my side. I am guessing that since it is football season, the 2 coaches simply don't have the time to help me as my timing here is not good.

I am here to ask the help of any experienced Defensive Coach but I would prefer to do the corresponding by email as this would go a lot faster but if this can't be done then I'll gladly post my questions here, can anyone reading this please tell me if they can help me and my team or if I should post my questions here? Thanks.

Winston,

My first question is Is it tackle of flag?

Second, does the leaugue have specific rules about defense? such as: do you have to run a 4-4 or some other type of defense?

Third, are you allowed on the field with them? if so then you can place them in thier positions.

Finally, do you have any videos or books to help you out?

I'm in my third year of coaching and i coached that age group my first year and i didn't know a whole lot about defense. A coule of things that worked for me was that you don't see a lot of passing at that age. out of a six game season we saw aprox. 6 or 7 passes (none of them were completions) second, defense comes more naturally than offense. third, since there weren't many passes we knew that they were going to run the ball. I'm not a big defensive person (as far as defensive knowledge ) but we ran a 6-2 and that seemed to work o.k. for us.

I myself learned some things by reading what other coaches in this forum had to say, everyone is pretty good so if you post your questions I'm sure someone will answer it.

Appreciate it Coach Jones, so here we go, I've got maybe a million questions so you guys will have some fun with this thread, I am fully aware that all coaches have different opinions and methods so if I am to have let's say, 3 different answers to one question, I will welcome this becuase then I will try all 3 methods and use the one that works best for me and my players, so please feel free to give as many different opinions and answers to my questions, ok coaches?

Let me answer your 3 questions first:

1] It is Tackle Football.

2] Basically, we can run just about any Defense with these 8-10 year olds, we just cannot blitz.

3] No, we are not allowed on the field and also we cannot coach them when they are on the field.

4] No, I haven't gotten around to getting videos or books yet becuase when I wish to wait and purchase the right and best training aids and not rush and settle for anything mediocre, I will definitely do this next year in the pre-season, if any of you can recommend something good, I will appreciate it.

To comment on the "passing" issue at this age level, I wish to be prepared for passing becuase the trend in my league is that when the run is not working, go to to the air.

First question, I've been told by 2 coaches that I should place my weak players on the DLine and NOT in the backfield and in particular, I should place those weak players at the DT positions, my question here is, since it is common opinion that games are won and lost at the LOS, should the entire DLine be strong? Also, won't the Offense quickly discover this weakness on the line and exploit it? My opinion is to place those weak players at the Corner positions so I would have a strong DLine and LB core and place one of my studs as the Safety as my last line of defense, what's your take on this Coaches? How would all of you handle the weak players?

Oh, I forgot, I was instructed by my Varsity coaches to run a 5-3 Defense right now, I intend to add a 4-4 maybe in the second round if possible.

putting weak players on the corners is a terrible idea at this age. One of the biggest plays for this age group is the sweep,so you need a good corner. That is the other reason for weak tackles they are inside and can be made up for with good linebackers.

A 5-3 or 6-2 is the best defense at this age, since most of the plays will be runs.

That being said the best thing you can teach these youngsters is to tackle properly.

Flips

well explained Flips, thanks. Next question:

This I have had many different opinions also, I've been told that at this age I should have the DLine get into the backfield as opposed to hit and read, which do you guys think is better and why please?

Flips is 100% correct on the corners - the CB should be some of your surest tacklers - at this age, coaches are going to try to get to your edge and break the big one.

On the DL, it is very difficult to teach read and react - I have tried at the age group above you and it is just a very difficult skill to teach. First, they have to take on the block, then they have to read the play, get off the block, and go make the play. I am a bigger believer these days in gap control. Each player has a gap he is responsible for getting into and protecting. While we do blitz, we never get away from gap control. I would rather control the gaps and the edge and not give up the big play. It takes a very good and disciplined team to drive 80 yards on you 3 or 4 yards at a time. To do that requires the entire offense to run flawlessly for twenty plays in a row. That means no fumbles, no missed snap counts, no split ends failing to line up on the LOS, no missed blocks, etc, etc. I know a lot of people disagree with this philosophy. The next thing I believe in is stoping the run. To blazes with the pass, if you can't stop the run, you are lost. Passing is very difficult in the pro's much less at this age. I have found that man to man coverage is fine - just take away the easy passes (e.g., the inside route on a fly pattern - make sure your db is between the QB and the receiver - that makes for a very difficult throw.)

Anyway, back to the point - I believe in gap control and then adding cutoff angles for the backside players. So, if a sweep goes to the defensive right, the defensive left (i.e., backside backer, and backside CB) need to recognize when the threat of reverse has passed and then run across the field to cutoff points. I run my backer to the mid cutoff point and the backside CB to the TD cutoff route.

From your answer, I still don't understand if I should instruct the DLine to get into the backfield or hit and read? You mentioned "gap control", this suggests to me hit and read or am I wrong? Can you explain this further please? Thanks.

p.s. I was told by one other coach on another forum that for this age group, hit and read will be difficult [just as you've said], be he also told me that the hit and read method will tend to take away the aggressiveness of the players so they should be sent into the backfield and if they should over-persue then the LB's will be theri back up, what say you?

sorry for the confusion - I teach getting into the gaps and breaking through if they can. Keep in mind that it takes less than 2 seconds for a back to get to a hole - more like 1.5 seconds if you are facing a fast backfield. So, I want them to get into their gap of responsibility and try to drive through. The reality is by the time they get into the gap, the back is often right there.

Read and react is basically taking on the block and looking past the blocker to see where the ball is going and then sliding off to that side. It is very hard for kids to learn and it is basically resulting in a DL being required to run 2 gaps control. The only players I give mulitple gaps to is the LB's.

I want my guys in the gap and into the backfield if they can. A big point is that when they are in the backfield, they still have to protect their gap. So, if I have 'A' gap responsibility, and I get through and the play appears to be going to 'C' or off tackle, I can slide down but what if it is a counter and the back turns and goes back to my A gap. I still have to make the play as I slide down.

Winston,

HIT!RUN!SCORE.com has very a good coaching series called Successful Coaching each video cost about $14.99 and there are videos for every positon and each position is by a diffrent college coach like, qb's/UCLA, ol/Tennesse, rb/Nebraska, wr/Florida State, lb/Penn State, etc. They are mainly a drill type of videos and they are very good. even though they are college I find them very usful in teaching kids. I purchased each position and i learned a lot from them. Also there is a book called "the Football Coaching Bible" which is excellent. Each chapter is wriiten by a legendary college coach Tom Osbourne, Lou Holtz, bobby Bowden, Bo Schembeckler, and the guy that coaches that one team in columbus, ohio ( I'm a Michigan fan so I refuse to say his name or school) Have excellent chapters A must read for all coaches in my opinion.

Coach,

Youth defense is about applying pressure to the backfield. So a gap penetrating defense is going to be far more successful then a read defense. The more pressure (penetration) you can get at the LOS the less effective the offense is going to be at executing their plays.

A read defense requires a defender to defend two gaps as well. This requires the defender to be strong enough to hold his position and technically sound enough to attack his playside gap. This requires a lot of technique and fundmental work.

A gap defender is responsible for 1 gap and he penetrates into that gap. Now you can have him slow penetrate or essentially get into the backfield. Depends on how you teach it. I actually teach my DT's to play a tilted tech over the OT (the tilt being at the QB's hip) and he attacks through the OG's near hip and into the backfield. This allows my DT to actually to close the B gap while attacking through and putting pressure behind the A gap. It also forces two defenders to block each of my DT's That is how I do it but again there a a variety of ways of having a defender execute a 1 gap.

In truth I don't assign any of my defenders to multiple gaps when I coach youth ball. Each have a specific gap they are assigned and a specific way to attack that gap or in the case of a the LB read and attack.

I also don't place a large amount of value on college coaching material for youth ball...90% of it is a waste of time at this level. Not to mention that most college coaches have never taught a youth player and it is a completely different game. That is not to say that some of the material is useful but for beginning coaches the material can be either overwhelming or completely foriegn. I attend several football clinics a year and to be honest with you I come a way with very little at the major clinics because they are so geared to HS and College ball that the carry over is just not there.

If your playing a 53 defense you can do it in a variety of ways. Here is my suggestion:

NT attacks through the center. Sole job is to create turnovers by disrupting the snap and driving the center back into the QB. He can attack either A gap on a blitz call. He should spring into the center from a low to high position attempting to drive his chest into the center's chest as he punches through the center's shoulders. He reads the QB and if the QB is handing off he keeps driving the center back and then jerks the center and goes to ball. If pass he jerks the center as soon as he sees pass and plays to the passer. The Nt is essentially executing a bull rush so when he disengages he is executing a bull and jerk.

DT line up head up on the OT tilted at the QB's hip. Attack through the OG's hip and split the B gap. Get into the backfield. Drive the inside palm into either the near shoulder or near hip of hte OG and drive him inward. Drive the outside forearm into the near shoulder or hip of the OT. If you get doubled by the OG and OT drive into the ground and bear crawl through them (this causes a pile and gives the DT a leverage advantage).

DE is lined up four to six steps of the last offensive player on the line (TE or OT). He wants to be far enough outside to not be blocked. He is in a two point stance and takes two fast short steps up field and then crashes aiming at the near/deepest back's near hip. He tracks that man and does not allow him to cross his face. Meaning he makes the back go deeper or inside of him by crashing on his near hip (like a missle tracking a target). If he goes away he gives chase at the same depth and looks for counter. If pass he crashes to the QB's near hip. This is a pressure position. I use my DE's to apply pressure into the backfield and make tackles for loss.

Sine your a 5-3 I would assign each back a gap. Mike is four yards off the ball and stacked behind the center. He is the only back with 2 gaps (both A gaps). In reality he is getting help from the NT.

He takes a read step (a quick short step to the side the QB opens to). Most youth coaches have the backs read the backfield. In this case the MIKE reads the FB and then moves accordingly. If FB goes to QB he attacks near A gap. If FB goes away he cross reads the far/deep back. If you want to put a pad on the FB every time you can simply have MIKE go with FB (good for teams that always lead with the FB or if the FB is a primary threat). I personlly teach my LBs to read lineman as it is a more true read. In this case MIKE reads the center.

DRIVE = ball coming your way

REACH = ball going outside that way

DOWN = ball going to outside of down block

PULL = ball going to direction of pull (either trap or seal)

DROP = pass pro "PASS!!!"

If DRIVE he attack his gap.

If REACH he plays through to the reach side.

DOWN he scrapes down to the butt of the blocker.

PULL he attacks to the near hip (takes him to the play)

DROP - either drop or blitz (depends on your style)

OLB - is 3 yards deep with inside toe point at outside shoulder of OT. Reads near/deep back if reading backs. If back comes he attacks his gap; if he goes to other side he cross reads far back for counter. Line read is OT as above. OLB has 2nd eligible man from outside in. So a slot receiver he slides outside and splits the difference. He still has RUN read first.

Corners play bump and run covereage and has the first eligible player outside in. PASS/RUN

Free Safety plays 10 yards deep and reads QB. He sinks for two steps and reads play. He always sinks to the deepest receiver. Never lets a receiver behind him as he is a PASS/RUN.

You could play COVER 3 and have the FS and CB''s play a 3 deep zone.

That is one way of running the 53.

Coach Gregory

www.gregorydoublewing.com

It depends on the kind of athletes you have. Last year I had not very many big guys, a lot of smaller quick guys. We would line the DT's head on head, whether we were running a 4-4 or 5-3. They would shoot the gaps. We had two tall and very strong defensive ends who could create pressure up field. So we put them on the outside shoulder of the tight end and had them rip or bull rush through, keeping control to make sure they were staying high to push the play back inside.

If you have a bunch of large, nonmobile kids then you may want to work on the read more. They can bull rush a tackle or guard and maintain gap control along with reading. Don't limit yourself. Know what you have to work with first and work to their strengths.

I have to think on this, I wanted to have a Defensive "plan" before putting the players in their positions, how do you guys do this? Do you wait until you have analysed all of your players then come up with the defensive scheme or the other way around?

I look at what I have for personnel. I place the two biggest and strongest kids at DE so long as they are not slow. Then I put my best athletes at LB, smartest one at middle. I put the sure tacklers and speediest at corner. We have tried safety multiple ways.

Then we fill the DL with the least talented. I usually work them at all three positions and move them around in the game to find the weak link to create mismatches. If we feel the Oline is slow on one side and small on the other we will put our quick guys on the slow side and the big guys on the small side.

I've not found one thing that works great. I've even taken a DE and put him at noseguard to blow things up a bit and throw the offense off.

I would just say, don't limit yourself on preconceived notions. Look at your personnel and create a triangle with your best players. I.e. DE, LB. Then fill in around them.

Great advice, thanks, by the end of this week's practice, I will place a profile on each player here and will add where I am thinking of placing each and ask you coaches of your opinions, then I will decide where I am going to place them.

winston,

When I first started coaching defense this is the website I used as my Bible. It has been very good to me. It does a great job of detailing out positions and what you need there to be successful. The only one that I have toyed with is safety. Depending on your strength you can use a smart kid with not as much skill here or if you are going to do a lot of blitzing or have to worry a bunch about the pass you will want to go with their description.

Position Profiles

If this doesn't work just go to oskie.com and find what you need from there.

Coach Winston, I Have coached in the 8-10 yr old league now for 7 years straight so I will share a few ideas that i have had success with over the years. My defense revolves around the biggest meanest kid playing DT. For the first 2 plays he plays in front of the LG then the next 2 plays he plays against the RG, so wherever its the easiest for him to penetrate is where he plays for the rest of the game. I instuct him to fire off between the guard and center with his head down on initial penetration then once his head has breached the hips of the o-linemen( who usually stand straight up) quickly lift his head to locate the ball.I have found that at this level of football very few teams can run their offensive plays quickly so your DT can most of the time completely disrupt the middle of the field so the other coach has to run outside exclusively.Last year against two teams we had to play twice I had to move our DT to LB in the second half because these two teams could not get a play off. Hope I helped a little. Oh by the way my my defense is the base 4/3 but my SS whom I call the snake back slithers up and becomes the strong side OLB for a 4/4 look then I slither him up again to the DE position with the other OLB to show my 6/2. By doing this I show 3 defenses which makes it hard for the other team to assign blocks in the middle of a short game and I only have to give multiple assignments to 4 players.

One thing I will add to this discussion is that as you profile players and line them up, you are going to find out that you hit it a pretty high percentage of the time. However, you are going to run into situations where a player is just not a fit for that position for whatever reason. Sometimes you will find he is a fit for that position but through observation or for whatever reason, you will try him out somewhere else for a few minutes and you will discover that while he was good where you put him orginally, he is great where you moved him to. So, I like to get players into positions as soon as possible; some players I move around until I find that right groove. a lot of times, it is a great jigsaw puzzle.

The 2 guys I was planning to have as DE's quit after we lost the first game, they were big with reasonable quickness and good tacklers, all of my backfield [3 Lb's, 2 corners and Safety] are speed guys, my line is the slower and bigger guys and my 2 De's are physically small guys and are getting manhandled, I can't place them at Lb becuase the way I see it, if they can't box in the Offense then they won't stop the run, my 2 corners are also small so placing them as DE's won't make any difference, my better tacklers are my LB's and Safety.

Any ideas on who should be placed as DE's?

p.s. I only have 2 subs who are slow and big guys so I use them as Tackles.