2 replies to this topic

#1 DiMaggio

DiMaggio

Coach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:03 AM

I played baseball all through my youth and into college. However, playing and coaching are two different things. This will be my second year coaching my son's 5 & 6 year-old "coach-pitch" team. This year I'd like to do a better job and would appreciate any input some of you here may have.

One thing I did learn from last year was to break the kids into three groups during practice;
one hitting/fielding
one throwing/catching
one taking grounders

The problem was that we practiced only one day a week for about an hour (remember we're talking short 5 & 6 year old attention spans). I had a hard time finding time to teach them all I should have. I'm thinking about going to two day a week practices.

The league I coach in is basically the same a tee ball league only the coach pitches to the kids instead of having them hit off the tee.

Any hints, tips, suggestions or resources would be greatly appreciated, especially regarding running practices[/FONT][/FONT].

TeamSnap!

#2 Noah0295

Noah0295

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 04:22 PM

I think it also important to start working situations a little. Especially when to go to first and when to go home with the ball.

#3 hoops4kids

hoops4kids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:54 PM

At this age group, teach them to have fun. Do fun drills. Don't worry about how much they learn. If they have enough fun, they will return year after year until they're old enough to take the game seriously enough to pay attention.

Personally, I think 5-6 coach pitch is absurd. I would be concerned kids will give up baseball because they can't hit before they have developed the motor skills to properly play the game.