Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Knights

Defense (techniques) ?

Many times over the years I have read or heard coaches mention the 5 technique or the 9 technique, but I have yet to find all of these defined or explained. I have as many as 15 books on coaching football, the majority of them are on the subject of coaching youth football. None that I have cover this area and I would love to know more regarding this subject.

I was just reading one John T. Reed's books and he also mentions the 5 technique (DT on the outside shoulder of OT) and the 9 technique (DE on the outside shoulder of TE).

I was hoping that someone could go over all the techniques and define each a little. How many are there? If anyone knows a good resource regarding this topic please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

D-line techniques 0-9 I believe was developed by legendary coach Bum Phillips.

If a nose guard is head up on the center it's a zero technique. if he is lined up in the "A" gap thats a 1 tech, head up on the guard a 2 tech, "B" gap 3 tech, head up on the tackle 4 tech, "C" gap 5 tech, head up on the TE 6 tech, outside shoulder of TE 7 tech.

I once asked one of my d-linemen what his responsibility was, and he said to stay low and portect his A hole.

So that could be why the number system was developed.

Many times over the years I have read or heard coaches mention the 5 technique or the 9 technique, but I have yet to find all of these defined or explained. I have as many as 15 books on coaching football, the majority of them are on the subject of coaching youth football. None that I have cover this area and I would love to know more regarding this subject.

I was just reading one John T. Reed's books and he also mentions the 5 technique (DT on the outside shoulder of OT) and the 9 technique (DE on the outside shoulder of TE).

I was hoping that someone could go over all the techniques and define each a little. How many are there? If anyone knows a good resource regarding this topic please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Coach,

http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/Coaching_Terminology.doc

That should help you out coach.

Basically a even tech is head up an a odd tech is in a gap/shade. If it is s 10, 20. 30 it means a backer off the LOS. The article goes into a great amount of detail on how it works.

Jack