Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bballrules

Safe Way To Gain Weight?

bballrules,

:huh: What age is he? His BMI, Body Mass Index, calculates to 16 which 20 is ideal for a person his size. I would consult my physician and or a good nutritionist. A kid has plenty of time to gain weight especially one his age which I'm guessing is 10 to 12? What is the objective of him gaining weight? Does the child feel inadequat? I'm not trying to go philisophical on you I just think kids have plenty of time to gain weight and or lose weight at this age. You could try www.eas.com for some nutrition tips. They are by far the best when it comes to nutritional supplements. Let me know.

Syn

MY SON IS 11. MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT IN OUR FOOTBALL LEAGUE, THE WEIGHT GOES UP TO 140. IT'S A LITTLE TOUGH TO WATCH THE KID GET CRUSHED. (YEAH I KNOW THAT'S WHAT THE GAMES ABOUT!). I REALIZE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I CAN CHANGE QUICKLY..........I WAS HOPING FOR NEXT YEAR.

HE DEFINITELY HAS NO IMAGE PROBLEM, HE THINKS HE'S GOT BIG MUSCLES!!! :D

:lol: Good! I'm glad to hear there is no image problem. For a kid so young to think he doesn't look right is just not right. Yea, 140lbs against a 90 pounder is a little uneven. I know it may not happen this year but the weight classes in your league may need some reevaluation perhaps. As far as putting on a little weight, like I said maybe eas.com could help. Weight lifting could also help. I posted to you a couple of days ago about weight lifting see that other post for ideas. Good luck, let us know how it's going from time to time.

Syn

bballrules,

I had to post and just say that with all of the problems kids have today with being overweight, eating disorders, and inactivity I would be real cautious on modifying any eating habits or using supplements with my 11 year old son. I would be concerned about creating any eating problem that he may have to contend with for the rest of his life.

Just my two cents!

SYNWAVE7. THANKS FOR BOTH OF YOUR REPLIES. I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE AND BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE WEIGHTS. I LOOKED ON THE EAS WEBSITE EARLIER, AND THERE SEEMED TO BE SOME INTERESTING STUFF.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH MY SON IS THAT HE IS ALWAYS ACTIVE, FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, BASEBALL, AND HE DOESN'T SEEM TO EAT ENOUGH. I ALWAYS FEEL BAD ASKING HIM IF HE'S EATEN ANYTHING. I DON'T LIKE SEEMING LIKE I'M ALWAYS NAGGING HIM.

THANKS AGAIN! :D

Longtimecoach,

I must admit I don't see the need for adolescent weight training. I do however know some 11yr olds that are taller than me (5"- 9') and weight more than me (220). Does this mean they should be lifting weights, maybe not. The American College of sports Medicine has done some recent studies and shows that adolescent weight training when DONE PROPERLY and SUPERVISED PROPERLY are OK. I'm certainly, by no means advocating weight training by youths but I don't know that I see the harm in it either.

Syn

Hey guys!

Sorry to be jumping in on your conversation. Hope you don't mind my input.

Weight training in pre-puberty athletes is most certainly safe -- as long as the programer involved is teaching the right stuff.

More over, IF the right stuff is being prescribed and supervised, pre-puberty weight training is actually desired from a developmental perspective.

Thinking of the development of an athlete in terms of several years of progression, rather than one 6-week training program at a time, technical development of lifting techniques has shown to be beneficial and injury limiting down the road.

While this topic is very involved (and if you know anything about me at all, you know I could talk forever about this topic!), the most efficient means of explanation revolves around the fact that motor pathways (weight lifting techniques) introduced at a young age (pre-puberty) become ingrained abilities from a practical perspective.

If you expect athletes to bench, squat and clean as they become 'elite', you would be best served to teach the technical aspects of those lifts at an early age.

Great thread, guys!

- Brian Grass

International Youth Conditioning Association

www.DevelopingAthletics.com