Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Do You Punt In Your League?

Our league (2nd/3rd grade) did not punt last season. I might bring up a suggestion to our sport director to allow punting this season. Right now, if a team elects to "punt" the ball is placed at the opponents 10 yard line (60 yard field). I would think each team has at least one player on the team that can punt (I had some kids last season that could really punt well; 20-30 yards).

If we did this, however---I would request that be mandatory. i.e. You don't have the option to place the ball on the opponent's 10. Our sports director is really big on tweaking the rules so that we have high-scoring games. I'm fortunate in that he is always open to any suggestions, and allows the coaches to pretty much dictate the rules if we are all in agreement (at the initial coaches meeting). My suggestion for the rules are:

1. No rush allowed on the punt.

2. Punts can be returned---only if caught. If not caught, the ball is dead where the return team touched it.

3. If the punter misses the ball (we all know it can happen), then the ball is dead where it drops.

I'm sure defensive coaches won't like this---but I think it would be a nice twist to things, especially as the kids are getting to the age where they can punt, and afterall, punting if fun. ;-)

There is no punting in the 5 on 5 style leagues.You either get 3 of 4 downs depending on the league and if you dont get the first down then the other team gets the ball.

Interesting. So does this mean you either score or have to go for it on every series? For those that have kids 8+, what are your thoughts on punting? While there is a lot of strategy in deciding when to put the ball on the opponents 10 (i.e. "punt")---seeing the players out there learning to play true special teams is something that can only help them with their future football endeavors.

I'd also think that punters would become a hot commodity in our league (as mentioned, I bet every team has at least one kid who can punt), and it preps them on what a "special team play" is as they progress to tackle.

I know chances are slim I'll get this passed with the league. I can hear other saying coaches now, "Kids at this age have always performed a 'fake' punt". If I get voted down, no big deal. Seems like things change and kids are biggers, and faster than we were 30 years ago as I see no downside to introducing the punt at this age. As long as every team must do it, it simply becomes more like real football.

If anyone has any other ideas on this topic, let me know. I'd like to hear your opinions, as it helps educate me when I understand what my colleagues think on a matter such as this.

There is no punting in the 5 on 5 style leagues.You either get 3 of 4 downs depending on the league and if you dont get the first down then the other team gets the ball.

Interesting. So does this mean you either score or have to go for it on every series?

you are correct sir...you can get a first down...and after that you have to score.if you dont score or get a first down its the other teams ball.

Back in college I coached a women's flag football team. I have been able to draw many parallels between the strategies and levels of play between women and youth flag football. There were kickoffs and punting in that league and it didn't take me long to figure out the best strategy. Kick it out of bounds. I would instruct my kicker as follows: "I don't care if it only goes 10 yards, kick it out of bounds." Of course she could boot it pretty far and she mostly kicked it out of bounds, negating any return. But let me tell you, returns were scary. I saw way too many returns for tds or long yards. The men's game is different, they can kick it far enough and with enough hang time and are fast enough to get downfield to cover the kicks. I'm pretty sure kids kicking would be like the women's game. And the rules were similar to what you propose, no rush, have to catch it, etc. Personally, I have not seen punting in youth leagues.

In flag play we do not punt. We play by NFL 5 on 5 flag rule.

In tackle our youngest age bracket the Rookie level (3rd and small 4th graders) does not punt or kick off.

The ball is spotted on the 35 (100 yard field).

The Jr. Pro level (4th graders and small 5th graders) punt, kick off and kick extra points. No rush or fakes during a punt and extra points.

The Pro level (5th & 6th graders) punts and kicks off and kicks extra points. No rush or fakes during a punt and extra points.

Very few teams at the Jr. Pro level have what I would call a successful kicking game.

Usually just about a 10 yard difference in field position if they are lucky.

Most teams can not spend enough practice time on special teams’ coverage and we have a lot of big returns because of a short low kick.

Depending on field position many teams will just go for it on 4th down and not take the chance of giving up the big return.

On kick offs they tend attempt a lot of on sides kicks because the ball is batted down by the front line most times anyway.

I would be surprised if we had many returns doing this. Mainly because kids at this age are not very consistent with their punts. Sometimes it might go 20+ yards, sometimes they might shank it (which again is why I think having a good punter would add a lot of value to the team). I also think it would be fun to do--I'm sure all the kids would want to be the punter. ;-) It would also add a little more strategy. Not many teams go for it on 4th down knowing they can pin the offense on the 10 yard line. Thus a coach would base his strategy on his punter's ability.

We'll see. I'm sure I'll get shot down---but the only way to find out is to suggest it.

In flag play we do not punt. We play by NFL 5 on 5 flag rule.

Same here. Although, I'd love it in a way b/c my team is mostly soccer players.

Us too. I can't imagine my 6-7 year-olds would be able to get much distance on a punt. But ,yeah, my soccer kids could probably get some good distance on a place kick.

It's really not that younger kids can not kick the ball down field; it's the lack of hang time.

In a quality kicking game the ball is kicked high as well as long and hangs in the air giving the cover guys’ time to get down field. I have yet to see someone on the youth level achieve this. At best all you can really hope for is to kick away from the return man and get a big bounce.

Most teams are not lucky enough to have but a few burners on their team, which leaves gapping holes in kicking teams’ coverage giving the return team several easy lanes to return a kick.

I watch 50 or so youth tackle games (100+ flag games) every season and more instances than not, punts lead to big returns.

I preach field position to these guys all season long at every coaches meeting. I have yet to have a coach employ a proper punt and try to pin another team back deep in there own territory. Almost 10 out 10 times when inside the 30 teams will try and convert on 4th down.

Something inside that youth coach will not let him punt. Ego I think.

I really can’t say that as league administrator that I would consider punting for flag games even if we played 8 0n 8 with min. contact.

Too much of a liability in my opinion.

I would love to see the 5 on 5 rule to change so that you had the option to go for it on 4th down (if you don't get it, defense takes over at spot) or give the ball up after 3rd and the opponent gets it on his 5 yd line. don't actually punt, just say all punts went to the 5.