Y-coach.com - Forum
djb1219

First Time Coaching! Need Advice!

Well this is my 1st post. But i have been reading a lot on this board and i have learned quite a bit of information. But i dont think im quite ready for coaching yet and my 1st practice is scheduled for tomorrow. Also i am only 16 and im coaching 1st and 2nd grades 8v8 i think i have a 10 player roster. Tomorrow i have an hour and a half practice. I plan on just doing a few drills like sharks and minnows just to get they used to flag pulling and running and trying to play the game. But i would really appreciate any advice and any help please and thank you!!

Pretty cool that a 16 year-old is coaching a 7-8 year old team. I'd get right to teaching them plays. Drills are good to assess your players and get their football juices flowing---but learning plays is the best thing they can do before the season.

In the end, just have fun. I would be surprised if there were any other coaches your age, so if not, use that to your advantage. i.e. Do things that a 16 year-old coach would do. Simply ensure all the players have a season to remember, and you will have succeeded.

Pretty cool that a 16 year-old is coaching a 7-8 year old team. I'd get right to teaching them plays. Drills are good to assess your players and get their football juices flowing---but learning plays is the best thing they can do before the season.

In the end, just have fun. I would be surprised if there were any other coaches your age, so if not, use that to your advantage. i.e. Do things that a 16 year-old coach would do. Simply ensure all the players have a season to remember, and you will have succeeded.

Thanks, One of my goal's is to be a college football coach and this year i got a injury that has me sidelined for the season so i cant play so i figured i could start now and coach my brothers flag team. Im pretty excited. Thank you for the advice i really appreciate it!

djb - I echo what Johnp2 said, it's awesome to see a 16 yr old coaching the little guys. I had some high school players come to a few practices last season and the kids loved it. Think you will be fine.

My suggestions:

1) Pick a cool/crazy team name - Here's a link from this forum that might give you some ideas

2) Check out the drills and practice plan section of this website >>> here

3) Be prepared for practice, write down a plan and have extra drills/game ideas available if the kids aren't digging what you're doing at the time.

4) Use the kids names a lot in practice so you get used to them.

5) Doesn't hurt to have parents help out during practice to shag balls, keep kids focused, etc.

6) Team cheer/breakdown. I'd come up with some simple chant/cheer for your team. Kids always seem to like that.

7) Snag some of your highschool buddies into helping with practices.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and stop back with questions anytime.

Thanks a lot Rob!

We had a great 1st practice today. I think the kids had a lot of fun. But i couldn't really get them to focus on trying to learn the plays and stuff like that. There was also that one rowdy kid who didn't want to listen either haha. But im pretty excited for the next practice. Hopefully i can get them to want to learn the plays and stuff.

One more thing to add to Rob's great suggestions. If you implement one rule--eliminate talking in the huddle. All the coaches I know say this is a problem in their first season (it sure was in mine). I'll assume your league will have a play clock, and when the games start it will be difficult to properly call your plays if you have players talking. I would recommend starting this rule in practice. If a player talks in the huddle, I sit him out for a few plays. Honestly, I have not had to do this in the past three seasons, but this is because my players are very clear on this one rule. Other than that, I let them be boys for the most part.

I try to get them to stop talking when im in the huddle but a select one or two dont want to listen. I set them out for about 5 plays if they dont listen but they go back to doing the same thing.

Also had a great practice today! Kids are really learning how to play pretty well. My brother is a decent qb. Best we got at this point. But my mvp of practice today is Long Hair Nelson! He caught 17 passes in a row. All were from either my brother or the other qb Cody. Fun practice today though.

djb - a couple of other things.

Be sure to get down on their level. Don't just bend over. Get down on your knees to look at them eye-to-eye. Two hands to both shoulders if you can when talking to them. Lots of praise when things go right. If one kid is outstanding on something in particular, be sure to give high praise. "Wow, John, that was amazing". Big, fat parental style hugs. They'll do anything for you!

Communicate with the parents a lot. This was very, very effective with my basketball team. I email a short reminder before practice (date/time/bring water/cleanup after) and games. After practice, I often email parents with a short note about what we worked on, encouraging them to do the same. Like, "today, we worked on pivoting. Let your son have the ball and try to keep away from you only by pivoting". You may only get an hour a week with them, but parents have them 4-5 hours a day after school and before bedtime. It's like a couple of extra practices if the parents help.

As other people have said, nip the discipline problems. I sit them in timeout.

Solicit help from parents or your buddies. But, if you have your buddies there, make sure that they understand that its about the kids and not about them showing off their own football skills. I saw an assistant coach one time waste 15 minutes of practice amazing the kids with how high he could punt the ball.

Bring extra waters and a first aid kit is not a bad idea. Inevitably, someone is going to get a little cut and you'll have some blood flowing. Have a spreadsheet with all contact numbers.

Communicate with the parents a lot. This was very, very effective with my basketball team. I email a short reminder before practice (date/time/bring water/cleanup after) and games. After practice, I often email parents with a short note about what we worked on, encouraging them to do the same. Like, "today, we worked on pivoting. Let your son have the ball and try to keep away from you only by pivoting". You may only get an hour a week with them, but parents have them 4-5 hours a day after school and before bedtime. It's like a couple of extra practices if the parents help.

You nailed it here, George! I produce a weekly newsletter for our team that lists the accomplishments of each player for that week, season-to-date stats, pictures from the game, player quotes from the week (which are always hilarious), etc. As you alluded, it's important that the parents are not only apprised of the wonderful things their child is doing, but also all the other players. There are so many story lines that take place during the season, and keeping the parents (and players) in the loop goes a long way for a successful season.

Thanks guy's! I think ill ask all the parents for there email today after practice. The 1st week of practice went pretty well, i think the kids that show up are really enjoying it and having fun. But today i think i might run 2 or 3 drills and then just hit plays hard. My only problem is getting them to listen an understand what i say. They will listen and then when i ask them to execute something the don't do it right, it gets pretty frustrating at times.

My only problem is getting them to listen an understand what i say. They will listen and then when i ask them to execute something the don't do it right, it gets pretty frustrating at times.

There is a parenting trick called "redirecting" that works here as well. If something is just not going right or a kid is acting up, then redirect them or the group to something else. Let's say a kid is acting goofy and disruptive. Get him in the middle of the field, dead in front of you, and involve him. Yell out to the other boys: "Now, Coach John here is going to be watching to see if you run your routes correctly". Do that two or three times, then tell him to go line up and do it correctly. Let's say the whole team is not getting it, or is acting up. Then, redirect the whole unit to something else, like switching offense to defense, water break, or a "punting competition". Don't keep yelling or banging your head up against the wall.

It doesn't always work. I had the best practice last Monday, and worst on Friday.

My only problem is getting them to listen an understand what i say. They will listen and then when i ask them to execute something the don't do it right, it gets pretty frustrating at times.
What has worked for me is making a BIG DEAL out of something you're trying to emphasize. Reward it with praise, piece of candy at end of practice, etc. Get EXCITED if a kid executes a concept you've been teaching. It's the one time I'm cool with yelling.

"THAT'S IT RIGHT THERE!!!" "DID EVERYONE SEE THAT?!?!?" "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, YOU NAILED IT!"

Stuff like that with high fives, etc. Most every kid enjoys being singled out in practice in front of his/her teammates for a job well done.

Keep in mind you're still dealing with 7 & 8 yr olds.

Hey guys, Just got back from our first game. We lost 20-7 i think its right for me to blame the ref on this one. The rule book clearly states-"quarterback sneaks are illegal from under center. If out of the shot gun it acceptable" Whats the 1st play there offense does qb sneak to and takes it to the house. Well they only did 1 play that wasn't a sneak. That play was just a hand off and my brother took his flag 5 yards back. After there 1st 3 drives our d shut em down so that's alright. But i really think our d was ready for a real game not qb sneak bull quit swearing Then it also states in the rule book-"you must wait 5 seconds before you can rush the quarterback OR until the qb takes 3 steps backwards." Every time i would set up a pass play Chas says hike. Boom the whole d line swarms him they even tackled him once still no call on that. Ok i let it slide then what really pissed me off is on there last scoring drive my kid tried to take the kids flag and the other kid on there team held both of Arron's hands so he couldn't grab it. Again no call. Oh well i know its not about winning for kids at this age but i at least would want a fair chance to win the game. At least i had fun we lost but it was still a blast for me. Next game on Thursday i think ill have my guys a little more prepared for what to do if this is out its set up. Also thought about bring the rulebook with me next game and talking to the ref about it.

How are you handling your coaching staff? offesnive coordinator, defensive coordinator?

I have one assistant im pretty much the OC hes the DC both going by our specialties. I have a parent also helping my assistant on defense.

Hi djb, there are good refs and bad refs and there are refs who just haven't reviewed the rules enough. Next time, I would do a couple of things if I were you. First, make sure you introduce yourself and your team to the refs. For example, when we played our first game last week, I introduced myself to the refs and explained that I'd be coaching offense and have someone else on the field for defense. I told them that this was my first time on the field with this age group with somewhat different rules, and asked them for their assistance with the rules. They responded, "that's what we're here for and that's what we are doing in these first couple of pre-season games". In other words, you should enlist the refs on your side. Then, if rule violations occur (as you described), you can stop the game and kindly ask the ref about it. Use words like, "hey, don't the rules say that QB sneaks aren't allowed? Is that right? Help me out to make sure I understand". And do it in a very friendly, non-confrontational way. They will either explain to you or they will chastise the other coach. And if that doesn't work, then get a clarification the next day from whoever runs the league.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

And if that doesn't work, then get a clarification the next day from whoever runs the league.

George makes a great point here. First and foremost, I have never, NEVER confronted an official on the field--it sends the wrong message, and it is too easy to get suckered into. Be bigger than that. ALL the officials now this about me, and I promise it works to my favor.

What I DO, however, is grade each official after each game and send it to the league. The Program Director actually looks forward to it. I thought he was patronizing me until I was late with one and he asked where it was. Much of the time, it is commending the officials for the game they called, but I will point out areas of improvement as I see them.

The bottome line here is that you have to check your emotions on the field (remember--EVERYONE is watching you) and at the same time you cannot allow an official to ruin the game. Let's face it, most officials at the level don't understand the vested interest coaches/players/parents have. I've seen playoffs game LOST by an officials poor calls.

My first season coaching football, I had an official dismissed of his duties due to his incompetence and lack of composure on the field (he made a few comments about my team on the field). I told the league we will not take the field as long as he is the official, and they swiftly mitigated things.

The lesson here...don't back down. Don't let a poor official affect your season. However, use the right protocol when handling the situation. Don't punk out and argue on the field as is what's easy. Take the high-road on the field. When it comes down to it, go straight to his boss for help.

Thanks a lot guys. I think i am going to wait until after our game on Thursday. If its the same referee and the same things go on the 1st thing im gonna do is contact the y. But i really notice that our ymca here is terribly organized unlike some of the ones ive heard about on here. Just they way they run stuff around here isnt really "professional" i think is a good word for it.

I have never, NEVER confronted an official on the field--

To confront sends a negative connotation. I think it is OK to ask for clarification. As in: "hey ref, help me out here. Is a quarterback sneak an allowable play? I'm a little unsure".

What I DO, however, is grade each official after each game and send it to the league. The Program Director actually looks forward to it. I thought he was patronizing me until I was late with one and he asked where it was. Much of the time, it is commending the officials for the game they called, but I will point out areas of improvement as I see them.

John, I think this is a great idea. Do you have specific aspects that you grade on? It'd be great to hear more about what you do, perhaps here or in a separate topic.

Had a really tough practice yesterday but i think we are ready for our game today. But i had one mom calling me yelling yesterday because i wont let her son play in the game tonight. I told the kid he cant play because, hes only been to 3 practices all year and we have had 13. I take roll every practice so i know how many times hes shown up and how many he hasnt but she wants to tell me that im wrong on how my roll has"Hes been there atleast every time but 3"She said. He showed up yesterday with 30 minutes left of practice. His mom expects me to let him play in the game? I told her he can play Monday night if he goes to practice Friday. But she was like thats fine and then she hung up.

DJB,

Good for you. Don't let it get you down. The mother needs to understand that its not about 1 kid but about 13. I have never done that before as I always felts bad for the kid as they obviously can't drive themselves. On the other hand it's not fair to the rest of your players who have parents that bust their butts to get their kids to practice.

Bottom line I just never did it, but I can say if I was a parent on your team I would fully support you on this. It comes back to what has been discussed in another thread. Lay out your philosophy and principles to your team and their parents up front and then stick with it and be consistent. If the parents don't like it they are free to find another team.

To confront sends a negative connotation. I think it is OK to ask for clarification. As in: "hey ref, help me out here. Is a quarterback sneak an allowable play? I'm a little unsure".

Agreed. Of course as we know it gets tiring when a coach asks for clarification on every other play that does not go their way. So many times, I've heard opposing coaches ask the officials "Can they do that?" over and over again. One thing that has helped me, is to simply ask the officials at the coin toss, "What are you strict on?" Most of the them are happy to tell you, "Keep the hands away from the belt", "Don't move until the ball is snapped", etc.

John, I think this is a great idea. Do you have specific aspects that you grade on? It'd be great to hear more about what you do, perhaps here or in a separate topic.

It's typically very informal. I just send an email stating the good calls (or non-calls) the officials made, commend the flow of the game, keeping us on schedule, etc. I'll sometime make requests. As an example, some officials like to stand near the offensive huddle, "30 seconds coach...25 seconds coach...20 seconds coach" etc. I'll ask that they don't do it unless we ask (as it is a distraction).

Then of course we have the unbelievably poor calls. Once we had a trick play that was so tricky, the officials blew the whistle mid-play (as we were headed right into the end zone). I clarified the legality of the play in my email, and our league responded with an apology, and reminded the officials to not be so quick with their whistles if they are unsure--and huddle after the play. So essentially, it's really just keeping your program director (or whomever is over the officiating) in the loop. They are putting a product on the field as well, and don't want to be known as the league with the worst officials. Additionally, I would say most of my post-game grades are positive in nature. Most of the time I have no complaints, and simply want them to keep doing the good things they are doing. I imagine if all I did was complain after each game, it would end up falling on deaf ears.

One thing that has helped me, is to simply ask the officials at the coin toss, "What are you strict on?" Most of the them are happy to tell you, "Keep the hands away from the belt", "Don't move until the ball is snapped", etc.

That's a great idea. DJB, you should always introduce yourself to the refs. Be nice. It's a kids game after all. It's not the NFL. Memorize their names. For example, at out last game, the opposition was lining up offsides constantly, even after warnings, and constantly jumping offsides. Here was the interaction between Ref Dale and I. Our defensive coach was on the field, so Dale happened to be standing just a few feet away from me on the sidelines.

Coach George (always smiling): C'mon Dale, that was offsides. You gonna call that or not?

Ref Dale (turning with a grin): If I did that, I'd be throwing flags all day long.

Coach George: My team's not moving like that, are they??

Ref Dale (snickering): Are you kidding?!?

John, I think this (grading the officials) is a great idea. Do you have specific aspects that you grade on?

It's typically very informal. I just send an email stating the good calls (or non-calls) the officials made, commend the flow of the game, keeping us on schedule, etc. I'll sometime make requests. As an example, some officials like to stand near the offensive huddle, "30 seconds coach...25 seconds coach...20 seconds coach" etc. I'll ask that they don't do it unless we ask (as it is a distraction).

This is really such a good idea. In our YMCA league, there is the main youth sports guy. And, there is a volunteer lead referee. He's the one who has meetings with the refs to make sure that they understand the rules.

Had a really tough practice yesterday but i think we are ready for our game today. But i had one mom calling me yelling yesterday because i wont let her son play in the game tonight. I told the kid he cant play because, hes only been to 3 practices all year and we have had 13.

This is very interesting. A few things: I commend you on your emphasis for practice. Does your league have a policy on this? As with Schann, I've never disallowed a player from playing due to lack of practice, but it has not really been a problem before. If you have let the parents know the importance of attending practice, and this one simply elects to ignore that, then roll with whatever rules you have set, and stick with them.

One thing to remember, though. Most times it is not the player's fault for missing. Thus I would caution viewing this player as a "slacker". Not saying you are viewing him as such, just that it could be this player wanted to be at the practices, but his mom had other priorities. I'd encourage you to get at the heart of the matter. Perhaps there is another player he can carpool with or something?

Had a really tough practice yesterday but i think we are ready for our game today. But i had one mom calling me yelling yesterday because i wont let her son play in the game tonight. I told the kid he cant play because, hes only been to 3 practices all year and we have had 13.

This is very interesting. A few things: I commend you on your emphasis for practice. Does your league have a policy on this? As with Schann, I've never disallowed a player from playing due to lack of practice, but it has not really been a problem before. If you have let the parents know the importance of attending practice, and this one simply elects to ignore that, then roll with whatever rules you have set, and stick with them.

One thing to remember, though. Most times it is not the player's fault for missing. Thus I would caution viewing this player as a "slacker". Not saying you are viewing him as such, just that it could be this player wanted to be at the practices, but his mom had other priorities. I'd encourage you to get at the heart of the matter. Perhaps there is another player he can carpool with or something?

It's not really a rule in the Y. But i specifically said in the letter i gave the parents that its alright if the kids are gonna miss practice but i would at least like a notice before hand. I.e a phone call or a email. She never once told me he wouldn't be at practice. Even when i called her she would never answer the phone. But he lucked out our game got canceled because of rain and is getting rescheduled for the end of the season. Also he showed up to practice on Friday and practiced great so he should be coming to the game on Monday, so everything is all gravy as of right now. Also, Friday was what i think was our best practice of the season. The whole team looked really good from offense was getting the plays perfectly. I was stunned when i saw my brother who is in 1st grade throw a 26 yard fade pass. The wide out ran to far on the route and Chase still threw it. Right over hes head into his arms i was amazed haha. Our D looked terrific also. Im pretty excited for Monday.