Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach 5150

Your 2 Cents Req'd

I know the primary responsibilities of a defensive end are to contain the backfield from running outside, but should the DE simply box and hold that position or box and attack in? I was always under the impression that a DE should contain the outside by boxing in but once he reaches that spot continue to go after the quarterback or the running back. I've been told recently that the DE should simply box in and hold that position just in case it comes back around. But never to penetrate further.

Your two cents?

A defensive ends job especially in youth football is to contain nothing outside his shoulder. He should trial the play away from his side and look for counters and reverses.

Now you can have him rush hard and attack if you think the situation is right but you will have to change contain resposibility to an outside backer.

If you have a kid that is disipine engough to have outside contain don't ruin him by letting him attack. he will want to do it all the time and get burned.

Coach,

This is really dependant on what type of defense you are running.

For example a 46 defense uses a crashing end. The actual techniques might defer but they all use a crashing end. Meaning the end aligns far enough away not be affected by the EMLOS and aims into the backfield and move directly into the backfield to place immediate pressure on the backfield at the same time not allowing O/S contain to collapse. I use a outside hip aiming point on the near back (i back). That is the DE aims and stays on a path to the near back (i back's) near hip and attack to it while maintaining outside shoulder free. IF play goes away he chases at depth of near back in the back field (normally whatever back he is keyed on). In the 46 the object is basically put pressure on the backfield and force turnovers and blown plays. It is a high pressure attack defense. This is a hard technique to teach as it requires a lot of discipline and control on the DE's part. But it is very effective used in conjunction with a pressure defense.

In a GAM (GAP AIR MIRROR) or 10-1 the DE boxes. Meaning the at snap he sprints directly across the LOS at the depth of the deepest back (some teach to keep outside shoulder free others teach square to runner). Either way the object here is not give up the sweep or bootleg and force the play into the c gap where normally the defense's better players are. IF the play goes away he trails at depth of deepest player and looks for counter. This is a very easy style of defensive end play but it is also very easy to isolate (kickout) if the offense knows what to do.

The last technique is what I call Spy and Slide. You see this often in 52, 43, and other like defenses. The defensive end stays on the LOS square and keeps his outside shoulder free. Normally he keys the EMLOS - if he blocks down he scrapes down inside attacking the backfield. If the EMLOS reaches he keeps O/S shoulder free and strings the blocker and thus the play out so that it can be chased down. IF the EMLOS releases or pass blocks he attack upfield and inside on the pocket maintaining O/S leverage.

Now the reason I elaborated on this is that you need to fully understand what type of defense your running before you start talking about DE play.

If you do BOX I would recommend keeping the OUTSIDE SHOULDER FREE (if you square to the runner you are making your DE a prime kick out target). I would also recommend he read the backfield. If the play comes his way (LEAD BLOCKER or Runner) to close down on it. The faster he gets inside while mainting O/S leverage (that is not allowing the play to get depth and get outside) the more likely the play will be stopped for a loss. That means as the DE comes inside if the runner or lead blocker gains depth he must as well and stop the play. LOW MAN WINS. If the play goes away he chases at depth of deepest man and maintains that depth while looking inside for counter. For example if he sees a split backfield and also has a WB on the farside and at snap he sprints to depth of the near back and the near back goes away while the far back leads for the WB he must engage the far back while maintaining the O/S shoulder free so that the WB does not try to bounce it deep and around. This forces the WB to cut up field into your line backers.

Hope this helps

Coach Gregory

www.gregorydoublewing.homestead.com

Thanks guys for your input. We are running a 5-3 Defense and sometimes a 4-4. Our 5-3 works pretty well, but in a recent scrimmage it gave up 2 scores when our LBs over pursued and without a safety the RB's could have walked it in.